What Kind of Apple is This?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad was supposed to go there, but there was an outbreak of something, scarlet fever maybe? So the recruits just rode the train right on past.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to work I pass the city lot where the large trucks are kept. There is a tall chain link fence that surrounds the lot. Up against fence are 3 apple trees, in fall ground is covered in large apples that just rot there. I always thought apple trees where a strange choice for city tree. Now I am wondering if same thing happened like @thistlebloom trees. Crab apple planted apple root stock took over.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought apple trees where a strange choice for city tree. Now I am wondering if same thing happened like @thistlebloom trees. Crab apple planted apple root stock took over.

Those trees are a neighborhood favorite now. They had a light crop this year, but enough for a few families to pick for pies and fresh eating. The smallest tree that grows next to the road produced for the first time this year. A small to medium sized green apple that has a wonderful taste.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those trees are a neighborhood favorite now. They had a light crop this year, but enough for a few families to pick for pies and fresh eating. The smallest tree that grows next to the road produced for the first time this year. A small to medium sized green apple that has a wonderful taste.
What blows me away is there no spray. Without multi spraying I zero chance at edible apple

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the way to work I pass the city lot where the large trucks are kept. There is a tall chain link fence that surrounds the lot. Up against fence are 3 apple trees, in fall ground is covered in large apples that just rot there. I always thought apple trees where a strange choice for city tree. Now I am wondering if same thing happened like @thistlebloom trees. Crab apple planted apple root stock took over.

Well, you have to remember that this is the Hudson Valley we are talking about; it's been built over and over again for 400+ years, and bits and pieces have an odd way of hanging around. It's the same as the stone walls you find if you walk the woods around here; presumably they mark boundaries to farms and home gone centuries ago. So there are probably a LOT of places around here with trees that are descendants of ones planted ages ago. Like that one I mentioned last year in the parking lot (assuming that was ever an a "spitter" cider apple, as opposed to a crab with notably large fruit and a clear M. domestica ancestry.)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update
Finally got around to tasting them (Good Keepers!)

One was sort of so so, but the other wasn't bad (sort of like a Granny Smith). Saved the two fertile pips (will stick in a pot and put in the garage so vernalize without fear of critter.