What kind of snake is this

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found this on snakes in Missouri. Many, many people are not aware that it is often illegal to kill a snake. I was sure surprised when I found it was illegal to kill snakes in Arkansas.

Snakes in Missouri are protected by state law. The Wildlife Code of Missouri treats snakes, lizards and most turtles as nongame. This means there is no open season on these animals, and it is technically illegal to kill them. Of course, realistic exceptions exist, such as when a poisonous snake comes in close contact with humans, which could result in someone getting bitten. You should get a collecting permit from the Missouri Department of Conservation before attempting to catch and keep a snake.

Not all rat snakes are black rat snakes and all black rat snakes are not totally black, especially juveniles. Here are some photos of black rat snakes.

http://thies-times.com/serpentryan/lifelist/Snakes/BlackRatSnake.html

Could it have been a garter snake? Well, it does have that longitudinal stripe, which I think is common with most garter snakes. There are also many, many different colors of garter snakes. Not all are those brilliant colors I associate with them. But I thought a garter snake had more of a pencil head, while this one looks a bit triangular. I still think rat snake, but it could have been many other things. Im not an expert.

I am pretty sure it is not a poisonous snake. The body is not blocky enough and the head is not as pronounced arrowhead as I would expect in a poisonous snake.

Rat snakes are sometimes called chicken snakes because they will eat eggs and baby chicks. I usually leave them alone because of all the mice they eat unless I catch one in a chicken nest. That has happened once.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Almost certainly a garter snake (that sort of checkerboardish-with-central-light-line pattern, and the color, is VERY VERY common in garter snakes in many areas, including where I grew up). Even in a given region, there is often variation in pattern, so even if your local garter snakes are *mostly* not like that, I still think this one is.

It looks so garter-snake-ish to me that if I saw it in the field I would not even stop to wonder if it were a rat snake or bull snake... but will admit it's been a little to long since grad school (was in serious field-herp kind of lab, lotsa snake catchin' and ID) for me to absolutely swear to it. It sure does not look at all like a bull snake to me though from what I remember.

Unquestionably beyond shadow of a doubt NOT a copperhead or anything else poisonous. Totally different in shape and coloration.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
But, aren't all garter snakes green and have stripes?

Steve
No, the eastern garter comes in many many colors and patterns. It is just that striped is the most common. There are also other species of garters too, like the checkered garter. They have a checkered pattern to them, but they are native to the west into KS. I don't think they are found in MO. A couple of years ago I found a red-ish colored female, she had more of a checkered pattern to her. I also found a male with cream colored stripes. The female gave birth to both striped and checkered young. You can find eastern garters ranging from albino to solid black. With stripes or without. Green, brown, blue-ish, red, all kinds of colors.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
But, aren't all garter snakes green and have stripes?

Yeah, I thought bull snake first also but that's only because we have so few snakes around here. In fact, I think there are only garter snakes, bulls and the rubber boa.

I feel that this area is pretty special to have a boa. I even found a tiny one in the garden once. First, I thought it was a very large worm :D.

Rubber boas don't get very large as adults. "They can be found at elevations anywhere from sea level to over 10,000 feet (3,000 m)." Wikipedia says. That seems rather special to me altho' I suspect they aren't anywhere near that high around here.

Too cold here for the rattlesnake as best as I understand. But, they are less than 100 miles away - and, I hope they aren't traveling in this direction.

Steve
I think that is what has me confused Digits. I thought the garter snakes were striped, this guy does have a strange greenish look to its underside, however, I dont know how long it was dead when she found it.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you are still unsure about the ID of the snake, or find any more snakes you need to ID I suggest going to kingsnake.com. There is a section called What kind? listed under Snakes. There are many experts there that can easily ID your snake.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Continuing saga of the snakes everywhere....since I posted this pic, we have seen several snakes in the yard...but today gives me reason for concern. the next door neighbor killed a copperhead in his chicken yard.
This is very close to us, and the grandkids had just walked away from visiting them when it was spotted and killed.
Today we used a lot of old straw to mulch tomatoes and cuc's.. now I am thinking twice about this being a good idea. ugg.

Latest posts