What lawn treatment goes down now?

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looking at the Scotts site for some guidance shows that their 1st step (Crabgrass preventer and lawn food) should go down before Easter... well, I missed it... :)

Haven't mowed yet this season and I really need to... but also want to get something down as we have a whole crop of "this year's variety" of weeds coming in.

Any thoughts? Skip to step 2?

thanks,
Andrew

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can spray your lawn with a liquid lawn weed killer that has a combination of 2,4-D, 2,4,5-T and one other weed killer. (My memory fails me) or just the 2,4-D by itself. It will not kill the grass, just the broadleaf weeds. Be very careful that you don't overspray onto your flower beds or ornamental plants.
Or you can do like a lot of us do; just mow the weeds along with the grass. They say if you mow a healthy lawn rather high, the grass will smother out a lot of the weeds. Mowing it short allows the weed seeds to get a bit of sun and pop right up.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks! I typically mow at 3". I will also have to de-thatch this year as the long warm beginning to winter kept my grass growing. It's in bad shape, but not THAT bad.

Unfortunately, some people had their whole lawns turn brown!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can buy CrossBow or a generic version that will take clover out as well. It is best to spray in fall but you have to do what you have to do.

Avoid windy days and hot/humid as all chemicals will drift,

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can not believe how lawn insane my father gotten in his elder years. he has keep off grass signs every few feet. If anyone but the dog dares walk on it, he fly's into a rage.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andrew, Easter was very early this year. You still can put down your "Scotts halts plus 2" to fertilize and kill weeds but there is little time to waste. The crabgrass preventer is the second step and should be put down before the soil temperature reaches (65?) a certain temperature. Crabgrass will germinate after that time unless a preventer is put down before then. Check on the packaging for the temp.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can spray your lawn with a liquid lawn weed killer that has a combination of 2,4-D, 2,4,5-T and one other weed killer. (My memory fails me) or just the 2,4-D by itself. It will not kill the grass, just the broadleaf weeds. Be very careful that you don't overspray onto your flower beds or ornamental plants.
Or you can do like a lot of us do; just mow the weeds along with the grass. They say if you mow a healthy lawn rather high, the grass will smother out a lot of the weeds. Mowing it short allows the weed seeds to get a bit of sun and pop right up.
True, highly fertilize and then the grass, which is BEST groundcover humans have ever come up with, can outgrow the weeds. If you have to, you can spot kill the weeds after that.
Cardboard can protect your ornamentals while you spray and you can get those at grocery stores before they crush them. We have the luxury of burning them later, which you could do if you have a firepit, or just lay them down to smother vegetation under fences, etc.

Latest posts