what order and how much

nursebay

Sprout
Reaction score
I am planning my garden that I typically start the first nice day in May. I have a space of about 50'X50'

This is my 5th year planting a garden and last year my garden didn't do so hot, we had crappy weather and I didn't get it planted until June and we got our first hard frost in September and so not much produced!

I am wondering:
How long for rows, how to plant multiple varieties of squash in there, what order to plant. I always keep my rows north and south and I typically plant my corn the most south-east rows of the garden to not block out sun...but what about everything else. What is a good order? Where to plant the cucumbers, sqaush, melons? Tomatoes?

LlamaBeans

Leafing Out
Reaction score
nursebay said:
I typically plant my corn the most south-east rows of the garden to not block out sun
Unless you are in the southern hemisvere shouldn't that be the north-west corner? As the sun rises in the East and in the northern hemisvere the sun comes from a southern angle. JMHO

nursebay

Sprout
Reaction score
yes you are right I do. I just got mixed up.....I guess what do you plant next to your corn? I always planted my peas and beans next

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is best to mix it up. Don't come back with the same thing in the same spot year after year. Diseases and certain pests over-winter in the soil. By alternating crops, you help keep the pests and diseases down.

Beans and peas fix nitrogen in the soil. It is best to follow legumes with nitrogen-loving plants. Then plant things that don't need a lot of extra nitrogen. Then go back with legumes.

You might check out this thead for resources

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24504

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you can plant squash/pumpkins among your corn or plant beans once the corn is a feet ft high...and the beans will grow up the corn stalk...
you need to be able to rotate your crops every year...so where you had tomatoes last year is where you put the melons or cucumbers and put the tomatoes where there has never been peppers potatoes or tomatoes before...

nursebay

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks! My husband makes compost and usually dumps a truck load of compost in and then he has a 7 foot rotatiller attachment for his skidsteer and tills it all in. He tills it 18 in deep so I figured it replenished the soil enough to not have to alter sites, but thats great to know!