What should I plant in my Arkansas fall garden?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, gradually expose them to the sun, wind, and heat. They can be really tender and just dry up and die if you set them in the garden without hardening them off. Wind can be hard on them. I had a northern exposure so they were in shade and it had pretty good wind protection. I'd leave them in the grow pots and move them out an hour or two the first day and build up to all day exposure. Try to not let them wilt from getting too dry. if you have chickens don't give them access. They will destroy them.

This link talks about doing it in the spring when you might worry about cold. In summer it's the heat and wind that gets them.

FeatherFeetFarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got in my tomato seed and they are TINY! When should I transplant to outside? I got some bigger cups and put 4 seeds in. 2 holes with 2 seeds in each hole.

FeatherFeetFarm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got my Tommy toes and the seller sent a gift! More tomatoes! But a different variety. I dont remeber what they are called.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can wait YEARS to plant tomato seeds as long as they stay dry and cool. I sprouted 35yo seeds, but I didn't think they were going to sprout, so, when I found them they were an inch high and dried out.
I bought some specialty tomato seeds from High Mowing for 2021. I will probably plant some of them in 2023, and they will keep.
(2:43-7:46/17:41)
Most people recommend using 10 seeds for the percentage of germination. You may plant those that germinate in a small pot and grow them up a bit before putting in the garden.'

Latest posts