what to do with my broccoli plants?

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started my broccoli seeds about 4 weeks ago indoors. Gave them constant light (24 hrs a day) and now have about 30 4" tall plants. They now seem really spindly, skinny, almost too tall and heavy to support themselves. I was told that 24 hrs of light will make them grow too tall, too fast.

My question: Can I plant them deeper (up to the first leaves) like tomatoes when I transplant them?

Should I change their light hours?

Some pics:

Thanks for any help!
Adam

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would definitely change the light hours.

We normally run the lights 24 hours only until germination then switch to 12-14 hours for the first week and then gradually reduce it to less and less until it's the same as the natural light. This seems to work well for starting seedlings indoors.

When we plant them into the ground we normally plant up to the cotyledon or seedling leaves. I don't think there would be a problem with planting them deeper. Anyone else have a suggestion on this?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broccoli is a cold weather crop and when it starts getting warm it will bolt and flower out.

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in zone 6. Weather outside now is high of 65-70, lows at night of 40-50. Am I wasting my time planting these this spring?

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Broccoli should have been planted in Feb., you can try but the above mentioned might occur.

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I guess I got a late start with the broccoli. I'll try transplanting them into the garden and see what happens. Maybe I'll get lucky. It does get pretty hot here in the summer, so I won't hold my breath.

Thanks!
Adam

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My seedlings look exactly like yours, in the picture. Not exactly what I expected...:/

I used natural light in my greenhouse,so I don't know if your 24 hours of lighting had anything to do with it. The heat may have. My seedling soil was also enriched, with Sea Soil mixed in, and I wondered if this may have had something to do with it as well. Did you enrich, or fertilize your soil, or was it regular potting soil?

http://seasoil.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=18

I planted them in the garden deeper than you would think one should, and they all seem to be doing alright, not rotting on the stem or anything. I too, will keep my fingers crossed. I think I will plant a fall crop in late summer, and see how that works as well.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The best tool I have ever used is The Old Farmers Almanac. I would advise anyone planting a garden to get one and read it from cover to cover. There are lots of tips and ideas to help the small gardener. You can also Google it and look at it online.

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, I do fertilize with vegetable/food (because it was cheap). How your broccoli works out too!

Adam