what to do with my broccoli plants?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you can, plant the broccoli in an area that gets afternoon shade. If you don't have such an area you can make shade for them by erecting a trellis and growing beans or another vining crop on it. As long as they stay moist and don't dry out they should be fine.

What variety did you use?

Don't be discourage I've grown broccoli up until June in Southern California heat (Zone 9 up to 115 degrees in the summer)

Good luck!

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not sure of the variety... I'll have to find the seed envelope.
I already have a section of the garden planned for the broccoli, and it is shaded part of the day. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

Thanks!
Adam

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The seed envelope says Green King Broccoli. I am in my first year of gardening here, and on Fedco's site while ordering seeds these looked like the best ones.

Adam

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mradam said:
The seed envelope says Green King Broccoli. I am in my first year of gardening here, and on Fedco's site while ordering seeds these looked like the best ones.

Adam
It's an earlier hybrid that seems to withstand heat relatively well. You should be okay in zone 6. Keep them in an afternoon shaded area and watered but not soggy.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They do look kind of skinny. What kind of 24 hr light did you have on them and how far from the plants? I started chinese brocoli inside and the flourecent lights were on them 24 hrs a day, about 4 inches from the top of the soil. They had terrible germination, but my guess is the seed source was bad, plus them being old seeds, but the ones that did come up were all about 1 inch tall and now have their first set of real leaves. I wish I had a pic of them... I planted what I had outside already and most died due to this freak heat wave...

mradam

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not sure as to the quality of the seeds, but I just used a standard 100w bulb (don't have the room for much else where they are. I had the light about 4 inches from the plants.

hdchic

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi all, new here and new to gardening, and did a search about broccoli. Anyway, mine sprouted up (bought seedlings at the garden center and planted) and are starting to flower. One has bloomed, but the other is still green (the flower). My question is when to cut it? Its not all that big (the flower) but the stalk is thick and tall.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hdchic said:
Hi all, new here and new to gardening, and did a search about broccoli. Anyway, mine sprouted up (bought seedlings at the garden center and planted) and are starting to flower. One has bloomed, but the other is still green (the flower). My question is when to cut it? Its not all that big (the flower) but the stalk is thick and tall.
Hi there, and welcome to The Easy Garden!

All depending on what zone your in and judging by the hot weather the nation has been having lately (well except for the PNW) it may be too late to plant broccoli.

It appears that your broccoli has bolted, or gone to seed, this happens when the plant gets stressed, either by too much heat or other situations. Unfortunately, this makes the broccoli taste rather bitter. I would recommend cutting the still green stalks and eating them, enjoying what you have. Try planting again in the fall when the weather cools and enjoy a late crop!

Good luck

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome, Hdchic!

OaklandCityFarmer is right on. I hope that you will plant a fall crop. Read a seed pack to see when you should start them for a late season planting; as it varies from area to area.

Or, get seedlings in the late summer/fall, of course. But do watch for a late, hot year, because those conditions will just get you into the same boat you're in now, if you plant too early.

Good luck! :happy_flower

hdchic

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanx sooo much! I'm in Zone 5, and we have been having the irradic weather..hot, wet, cool, etc. Got over an inch of rain last night. ggrr Well, at least I didn't spend too much on the seedlings, so I'll just cut my loss and learn for next year! :)

Latest posts