what to do with my broccoli plants?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My seedlings are starting to look like decent plants now, although perhaps a little weaker in the stem area than I would like. I may have to stake them if they get decent size flower heads..

I sure hope they don't bolt. We are finally getting some warmer weather, and I see my spinach is ready to go to seed. It would be nice to have some broccoli to eat.

Balding Eagle

Sprout
Reaction score
I've found that we can eat broccoli all summer by harvesting the center blossom first-- before it has a chance to mature-- and then consistently harvesting side shoots as they appear.

If you have 4 plants you can feed a family of 4 several times a week, and the flavor is so much better than the brocolli from the grocer!

I agree that shade helps, but mostly it's a matter of not letting the plant go through the full blooming process that will keep it working through the summer.

I live in Southeastern PA which is pretty similar climate to Eastern Missouri I believe.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And there are some varieties which lend themselves well to side shoots, too. That's the fun of winter....reading about seed varieties, so you can get antsy for it to get warm enough to plant! ;)