What would you do?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a sort of dilemma coming up, and I wondered what some of you people would do in the circumstance.

Last Friday, while trolling the web, I discovered that a restaurant across the county I was planning to go to across the county with my family (as part of an outing to that area). had a new branch pretty close to me. So this previous Tuesday, I went there in order to test it out in advance.

The problem is that, ultimately I was MASSIVELY disappointed in nearly all the food (most of which were favorite dishes of mine, so it's a matter of preparation). In fact, if you discount the things I thought weren't very good, the thing that wasn't what I thought it was, and the thing that it turned out I really couldn't digest (I'm beginning to think my stomach has developed a problem with massive quantities of onions and their ilk) There were only one or two appetizers that would be left.

So when that trip comes up in a couple of weeks, what do you think I should do? Should I hope that as it is a different restaurant with a different set of chefs, that they do things better (that branch IS the main branch after all, and has been in business and getting acclaim for years now). Or do I assume that all branches of the same chain use identical recipes and cut out the things that let me down?

Actually, with only one or two appetizers left in the latter case and those being pretty common things (and available a much cheaper prices elsewhere) is it really worth it to go to the other branch AT ALL. And if I don't I have another problem as I don't know the area very well, and so will be sort of blind when it comes to where the food is good.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you checked reviews to see if anyone makes a comparison between the two locations?

Since you use the phrase, "massively disappointed", I wouldn't risk it. The only thing worse than the first massive disappointment would be if it were followed by a second disappointment.

This could be a great opportunity to be adventurous though. If you keep an optimistic outlook, it could be a lot of fun to explore new options.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s a family outing, correct? If they want to go, eat what you can, forget what you can’t. It’s the company, not the place. Is there another place you all can agree on?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
is the trip mostly intended to be a check out the old neighborhood kind of thing and with a stop at someplace to eat as just a part of that? perhaps making a picnic or finger foods kind of thing and bringing those along would be a good idea in case you really don't want to try any of the neighborhood places to eat?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, we're going because there are some stores my parents have heard of they want to check out.

As for picnicking, 1. it's freezing up here, so no one will want to eat outdoors anyway. 2. That would make the whole trip a mess and 3. The chance to try somewhere new to eat is pretty much the only reason I'm going. Without that, I might as well just stay at home and let them go.

I have been searching around the web for places in the two areas (I know that the one of the stores they want to go to was in the next town over from the restaurant, and they were willing to go over to it for me, but if I'm not going there, I may decide it is easier to keep my choices within the town I'm already going to be in.)

And of course, with my depressiveness, there is a strong voice saying the right thing is to not have lunch AT ALL (I often don't if I'm not leaving the house) and not go with them in the first place.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go. Taste in food often runs in families. Unless your taste is drastically different than the rest of your family’s chances are if you didn’t like they likely won’t either. As for it being a different location chain stores especially ones within the same county are almost certainly getting food from the same supplier and following similar practices. I’d keep looking and see if you can’t find another place that looks interesting.
As for dealing with the depression side of it I know it’s different for everyone but maybe if you can’t find a restaurant try finding a store that has is interesting or coffee or desert place to stop at. I know for me one thing that has helped though it is taking time was realizing that I didn’t have to justify wanting to do the things that made me happy to others or myself. I didn’t have to come up with a reason other than it makes me happy. I’m by no means “cured” but it’s been a big step and it’s given me some peace. But like i said it’s different for everyone so this advice may not be helpful for you. But I want you to know you aren’t alone. :hugs

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As for dealing with the depression side of it I know it’s different for everyone but maybe if you can’t find a restaurant try finding a store that has is interesting or coffee or desert place to stop at. I know for me one thing that has helped though it is taking time was realizing that I didn’t have to justify wanting to do the things that made me happy to others or myself. I didn’t have to come up with a reason other than it makes me happy. I’m by no means “cured” but it’s been a big step and it’s given me some peace. But like i said it’s different for everyone so this advice may not be helpful for you. But I want you to know you aren’t alone. :hugs
That DEFINETLY wouldn't work. My guilt over eating applies to ALL food and drink, no matter how small (and, as a diabetic, a dessert store would be out of the question). As far as my conscience is concerned, ANY food is too much food. I am supposed to eat and drink NOTHING, and exercise at a brutal rate 24/7 until I LITERERALLY drop dead.

Add on the fact that I have a MASSIVE morally masochistic streak, so the fact that it makes me happy is actually a good reason to NOT do it, because I am SUPPOSED to be utterly miserable and in perpetual agony; that I have an OBLIGATION to torture myself to the utmost.

That being said, I have already found at least three other places that look like they may work (and I haven't really gone that far into the list of one of the towns).

And I just realized that there is a miscommunication in this conversation. Us sitting down to eat is not actually necessary. If we DO, my parents won't mind, but if I decide to get the food to go and eat it when we get home, that will be fine with them as well (I'm still not all that comfortable taking my mask off when I'm out of the house).

Latest posts