What would you do?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't buy pasta with tomato sauce at the Olive Garden anymore, and I have been a 30 yr + customer.
It is now being prepared like spaghetti at a greasy spoon.
Kinda don't even Want to eat there, now.
I would pass.
We have a great tavern 15 minutes north of us, family run. I have had only one bad meal there, and it is only bc I don't care for really spicy food, their blackened fish. Their almond encrusted cod is phenominal, as well as their pulled port, rib eye steaks and even their Saturday only, prime rib.
You are what you eat...

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a great tavern 15 minutes north of us, family run. I have had only one bad meal there, and it is only bc I don't care for really spicy food, their blackened fish. Their almond encrusted cod is phenominal, as well as their pulled port, rib eye steaks and even their Saturday only, prime rib.
You are what you eat...
I'm assuming that you meant pulled pork ! I have NO IDEA how one would pull port! (I guess you'd either have to drag the bottle across a table, or turn the ship's wheel right abruptly ;)).

On the whole, I am not a big fan of major restaurant chains. I feel they usually compromise quality in the name of expediency. I can't REMEMBER the last time I went to P.F. Chang's. I tolerated them for a while, since it was the only place I knew where one could get Northern Style spare ribs. But then they dropped those from the menu, so there was no point anymore. Plus, I never liked their tableside seasoning policy (mustard and soy sauce are NOT equivalent to salt and pepper, even in China.)

We are lucky to have several nice taverns around us AND several nice Italians, I had to part ways with the Portabella Carbonara at Mr. Nick's due to digestive issues, but it was still delicious when I did (and even THAT paled in comparison to the Penne Cremosa that Cerbonne of Naples turned out when I existed.) Old Stone turns out a good Carrozza, a decent Futti de Mare salad, and a pretty good cheesesteak (La Manda turns out even BETTER Frutti de Mare, but they don't open until 4:00PM now, so opportunities to stop there are few and far between). Mezzaluna makes such good pizza my sister has DEMENDED we order from them when she comes home this weekend. And, of course, when I fell like more exotic fare, there is Jewel of Himalaya for Tibetan/Nepalese and Badegeoni for Georgian (the country, not the state).

Latest posts