What would you like to do differently in next year's garden?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There won't be wasted space on brussel sprouts. 3 years, not sprout, to HECK WITH THEM!!!!!. I have never figured out what I am doing wrong and I am tired of wasted time on them.

Without a doubt there will be LOADS more peppers, hot and not.

Do a little more harvest managment on the corn crop by planting a few rows and then a few and then a few if you get my drift.

Move the peas (I think 3 years in a row is to much for one spot).

Planting Herbs, lots and lots of Herbs.

And far most important of all:

KEEP THE CHICKENS OUT!!!!!!!! TOMATO EATIN' LITTLE BUGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
CottageGardener123 said:
tfpets said:
Next year I am going to convert my garden to multiple raised beds! DH just shared that we are going to re-fence my whole garden!! He is going to use the new tractor and level the area, and I am going to finally get to have my raised beds!
Tina/tfpets
Thats great! I have some raised beds and they are so nice looking,simple, and easy to manage. If you put wire on the bottom of them it prevents gophers from coming in!!!!! :) also the sun heats the ground more quickly with them thus warming the soil to make plants grow grow grow!
My next big question is going to be what is the best size to make the beds, like how long and how tall!! I'll be sure to put the wire on the bottom! Gophers just became an issue this year, like never before?? But now that I have 'em, I gotta fight 'em!

I'm going to try to have posts at the ends of a couple to put strings up for things to grow upright too, if I can....I may be dreaming, but I'm dreaming big!!

Tina

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
all i got in this year was tomatoes due to a back injury. next year I will put in what I wanted to do this year, peas, much more corn, lots of pumpkins (4-5 varities) clover for the chickens, potatoes, cucumbers, watermelon and another apple tree or two.

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
all i got in this year was tomatoes due to a back injury. next year I will put in what I wanted to do this year, peas, much more corn, lots of pumpkins (4-5 varities) clover for the chickens, potatoes, cucumbers, watermelon and another apple tree or two.
2009 Will be a better year!! I hope you get to enjoy your garden much more than you did this year!

Tina/tfpets

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tore out some of the way past their prime tomato plants this afternoon, added to the soil, and went to plant the broccoli starts that I bought yesterday afternoon at the local nursery. Except they were Brussels sprouts. Oh well.

One of the things I'm doing this year differently than before is trying another winter garden. Garlic. Onions. Shallots. Three kinds of potatoes. Spinach. Peas. And, evidently, Brussels sprouts. I've got raised beds going now ten years at this place, and the soil is pretty good.

When I've been super busy, it's been tomatoes, peppers and tomatillos. They can be safely ignored and computer watered until someone can get to them. We've been giving away tomatoes and peppers by the grocery bags since the boys moved out. Now one of them has a huge garden with his boys, three or four times the size of ours. But the soil has been neglected, and so it's taking a while to get it upgraded.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
I tore out some of the way past their prime tomato plants this afternoon, added to the soil, and went to plant the broccoli starts that I bought yesterday afternoon at the local nursery. Except they were Brussels sprouts. Oh well.

One of the things I'm doing this year differently than before is trying another winter garden. Garlic. Onions. Shallots. Three kinds of potatoes. Spinach. Peas. And, evidently, Brussels sprouts. I've got raised beds going now ten years at this place, and the soil is pretty good.

When I've been super busy, it's been tomatoes, peppers and tomatillos. They can be safely ignored and computer watered until someone can get to them. We've been giving away tomatoes and peppers by the grocery bags since the boys moved out. Now one of them has a huge garden with his boys, three or four times the size of ours. But the soil has been neglected, and so it's taking a while to get it upgraded.
I really, really wanted brussels sprouts in my winter garden. But, unfortunately, all I found was brocolli and cauliflower. So...that's what I planted. :)

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What would I do differently? Mmmm... Where do I start? :lol:

First of all, I need to start EVERYTHING much sooner! By the time I was able to get what I started indoors outside everyone else was harvesting. I have also learned that "fall crops" are not to be planted in the fall! :D

Next, my garden will be BIGGER. I think a separate section for the zucchini would be appropriate. :p

My compost will have had more time to... well... compost. Last year I started my compost pile around the same time I decided to have a garden.

I'll also be putting a bit more thought into succession planting. I seemed to have all or nothing vegetable-wise (well... except for zucchini. I always had zucchini.). :/

Not bad for a first attempt, but I can't wait to try again next year!!!

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am actually going to have a real garden next year. We moved from town in June of of 2006 and with the move I did not have time to put in a garden. Last year I tried raised beds ut there was not enough sun. So I am going to take the top soil out of the raised beds along with the compost and dump it onto a large area of the pasture which will be my garden.

I am going to start small and add to it as I figure out what I am doing. It is funny because my dad always made it look so simple when he had a half acre garden. But I will get there. :he

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
More raised beds - my dh is going to see if our neighbor wants to give us some giant tubs he had cattle feed in so that we can plant more potatoes. Only doing 1 cucumber plant next year. Will work on building up the soil again. More tomatoes! More garlic! More & better corn! And I'm going to try to get some *&^$% cauliflower to grow! ;)

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Notes to self for next year's garden:

1) Do not plant all the beet seeds at the same time.
2) Do not plant all the onion sets at the same time.
3) Change my sleeping habits to nocturnal so I can snipe at deer all night with the pellet gun.
3b) Or, win the lottery so I can afford to buy a 7ft fence for the whole garden to keep deer out.
4)Don't bother planting popcorn unless I'm craving burnt kernels covered in oil.
5)Don't bother planting tomatoes, peas, beans, peanuts or anything else for that matter (except onions) unless I address #3.
6) Buying Squash & Pumpkin seeds on sale means it's too late to plant them.
7) Covering plants with sheets to protect from frost = dead plants and more laundry.
8) Stop buying fruit trees unless I want a field full of bare, dead, pricey sticks.

That's it so far.........

Latest posts