What's eating my peas?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20230220_104858.jpg

IMG_20230220_104843.jpg

I planted a bunch of peas as a cover crop in my garden over winter. Since it was cold not terribly many sprouted, but those that have survived the frosts and snow more or less.

Since I'm not planning to eat them, I've just let them be, but noticed something has been nibbling.

I'm planning to do a 20 foot row of peas nearby in about a month and would rather protect those if I can, but need to know what's eating them.

Any ideas? How do I check?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a lot of things like peas. slugs/snails would be my first guess from what i see too. good luck. :)

do you have fence for pea row later?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The entire 23 feet has a chain link fence to grow on. :) I grew peas nicely there a few years ago, but didn't maintain the garden space and the grass overtook it.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
View attachment 55272
View attachment 55273

I planted a bunch of peas as a cover crop in my garden over winter. Since it was cold not terribly many sprouted, but those that have survived the frosts and snow more or less.

Since I'm not planning to eat them, I've just let them be, but noticed something has been nibbling.

I'm planning to do a 20 foot row of peas nearby in about a month and would rather protect those if I can, but need to know what's eating them.

Do you have slugs?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have slugs?
We will find out for sure tomorrow. I'll start slug trapping in all the gardens to try and lower the number out there before I put my starts out. I poked around under leaves and such but only came up with one baby snail. Doesn't mean they're not there, just they're pretty good at hiding.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
View attachment 55272
View attachment 55273

Could be a small Grasshopper,,,

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That doesn't look like slug damage to me, although they are the usual culprit. It does look more like a grasshopper, but I think it is too early for those. I've never seen snails here! (except for some little ones brought in on a nursery plant once, a potted blueberry)

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Slug season has started, so that would be my guess too. If you have something along the lines of a big black plastic lid you could place it on the ground, and if there are slugs they may just crawl under it. Then they are easy to dispose of. I find that slugs like being underneath things, for warmth and moisture I would suppose.