What's growing in your greenhouse today?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sharing the fun. My tomato plants, Burpee's Veranda seed, seem well on their way to giving me some tiny red tomatoes before the last frost! I was going to challenge you all to see if I get the first red
DSC_2066.jpeg
indoor tomato of the year. Then I remembered I would not have a chance with you southerners.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Those darrrrrnnnnn Southerners!!!
Oh, well, last summer WE didn't have to run our AC 50 % of the season.
Take THAT, Bembridge Scholars!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those darrrrrnnnnn Southerners!!!
Oh, well, last summer WE didn't have to run our AC 50 % of the season.
Take THAT, Bembridge Scholars!
ANd always.....your snakes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lots of carrots, @Ridgerunner ???

Nothing much in my greenhouse. The Asian veggies that were started indoors have just been transplanted to ponies and have been left in the greenhouse to keep the onion seedlings company.

New seed for those Asian greens were sown in soil mix and those flats are in the greenhouse. With our recent warm weather, they might be growing but they haven't made it to the surface of the soil.

Some perennials have been repotted and are in there but that experience has "given them pause." They should be back to growing, soon.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , whoa you have tomatoes already… nice.

@Ridgerunner , C’mon man. It really looks good But it causes real pain in late March for those of us near the 49th parallel lol.

@digitS' , not much in our greenhouse either, we have 12 black currants in pots that are starting wake up for the year. I watered them 2weeks ago and they are greening up nicely.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 , whoa you have tomatoes already… nice.

@Ridgerunner , C’mon man. It really looks good But it causes real pain in late March for those of us near the 49th parallel lol.

@digitS' , not much in our greenhouse either, we have 12 black currants in pots that are starting wake up for the year. I watered them 2weeks ago and they are greening up nicely.

no kidding. we reached the balmy temperature of about 14F last night. hopefully this will be the last teeny night for the season. the next few days for us are going to be cold and wet with ice or snow possible and then rain. so i'm not going to get any onions in the ground this week either by the looks of it.

Trying2keepitReal

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
no kidding. we reached the balmy temperature of about 14F last night. hopefully this will be the last teeny night for the season. the next few days for us are going to be cold and wet with ice or snow possible and then rain. so i'm not going to get any onions in the ground this week either by the looks of it.
Sounds just like us. We are hanging around the mid 30s to lower 40s today with rain/sleet projected starting tonight into tomorrow. I am just waiting for the nights to stop freezing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue sky day and about an hour after sunrise, I checked the temperature in the greenhouse. It was in the high 40's (9°C).

Outdoors, it was in the 40's by then but had dropped into the 30's, earlier. We are getting back to that after warmer than normal.

I really dislike fretting about the greenhouse temperatures. It helps that the ordeal starts later in recent years. There won't be much choice in a week or so.

Steve

Cat' , you like old thread :). Here's one from 12 years ago when I still had that lower elevation garden, etc. and was making an earlier start of things.

Latest posts