What's your favorite apple(s) and why?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been looking through nursery catalogs, really overwhelmed by all the apple varieties out there. I am wanting to add more trees to my "orchard" and thought a little input from you guys might help me narrow it down a bit!

I already have a Red Delicious; good for fresh eating, not a good keeper, makes decent juice.
And a Bonnie Best; haven't gotten the first apple off of it yet, but I hear it makes a prize-winning apple pie.
And one other unidentified apple; similar qualities as the Red Delicious (probably going to cut this one down because it's crowding my chicken coop).

One I will definitely be adding is Mutzu. Bought a couple bushels of these in the past. They are excellent keepers and make awesome apple butter and also pretty good for pies.

I am also wanting a Grime's Golden. We have an old one on the farm and although it has been neglected, I love the outstanding flavor of those apples. A West Virginia native, they beat the pants off of Golden Delicious (also from WV) anyday, IMO. I hear they also make wonderful cider.

Ok, other than that, I know there is a whole wide world of apple varieties out there. I don't know what to get for a good sauce apple and I can't have enough good baking apples. I'm looking to add at least 5 more apple trees to my property.

So...what are your favorite apples and what do you use them for?

Also, here is an interesting article I just read the other day about the importance and effect of rootstock on apple trees. I did not realize that rootstock also affected how soon a tree would bear and what kind of soil it will tolerate. There are two types of rootstock especially suited to handling my heavy clay soil and I need to check with the nursery first to see what I'm getting for the best results.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are going about this very scientifically- I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose. I have only planted one apple tree and it is a golden delicious. Now, I bought this tree on sale for under ten bucks. I hate GD from the grocery store- these apples are delicious and nothing like the ones you buy!
Like so many things we grow in our gardens- they bare little resemblance to what is available for purchase! Good luck- and let us know what you choose.
Whenever I persue those catalogs I am disappointed by the very few choices for zone 4.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All I know is I love Winesap... I can eat 'em as is... I can bake 'em... I can can 'em... I can mix them with any apple and they shine for me!

As for what they need to grow... I can't grow them here. Not enough chill hours. :tongue

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
These are my favorites so far:

Honeycrisp :drool Great apple, good storage and very disease resistant. It also can grow in much warmer/ low chill areas than originally thought even So. California.

I also have:
Arkansas Black- heirloom apple hardy and healthy.

Sierra Beauty- heirloom apple from N. California

Hudson's Golden Gem- russet very juicy, crisp and sugar sweet. very disease resistant.

Liberty- can't beat it for disease resistance/ no spray apple.

Niedzwetzkyana- red fleshed apple

Hauer Pippin- California heirloom. Very late and called the Christmas apple. Outstanding keeping quality, very disease resistant good for organic production.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
This one had me curious. I'd never heard of or seen a red-fleshed apple before. I found several closely related varieties at www.greenmantlenursery.com called "Rosetta" apples. Hmm..I may have to invest in one of these curious apples. What a conversation piece they would be. I wonder if they would keep their color if dehydrated?

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have Gravenstein, Yellow Transparent & Red Delicious in our mini orchard in the backyard. The Gravenstein has been good for eating, sauce & baking.
But my all time favorite is an unknown variety that I can't get anymore. It had nearly solid red skin, white flesh that was sweet, tangy & spicy all at the same time & was awesome for any purpose. :drool When baked in a pie it still had some crunch to it, not so soft & mushy like most. And it was best when harvested around the end of August or first of September. I've tried doing searches to find the name so I can grow it myself but have been unsuccessful. :hit

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Northernrose said:
These are my favorites so far:

Honeycrisp :drool Great apple, good storage and very disease resistant. It also can grow in much warmer/ low chill areas than originally thought even So. California. . .
x2 (. . . just to express an opinion) Honeycrisp grows in a few orchards nearby. I don't see any problem with the trees here where subzero winters are normal. The fruit is especially delicious!

This is what it says in Wikipedia about the most recent apple trees I planted: "The Northern Spy apple tree is known for taking as much as a decade to bear fruit unless grafted to a non-standard rootstock. . ."

The one that still lives in Dad's old backyard didn't take a decade to produce fruit. That tree is on semi-dwarf root stock. It was an heirloom variety even before I planted it.
:old
I planted Dad's tree originally in '75 or '76. However, I don't recommend Northern Spy - it is just too tart for much of anything except, loaded with sugar as applebutter.

Steve

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
This one had me curious. I'd never heard of or seen a red-fleshed apple before. I found several closely related varieties at www.greenmantlenursery.com called "Rosetta" apples. Hmm..I may have to invest in one of these curious apples. What a conversation piece they would be. I wonder if they would keep their color if dehydrated?
I got mine from http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=344.

It is the also called the "redveined crab", but has apple sized fruit. It is nearly extinct in the wild. I asked the nursery if it had any disease problems and they said that it is a very healthy and beautiful tree. I don't know if it would keep it's color when dried, but I've heard it makes incredibly colored applesauce and other preserves. :D

I want to order a few from Greenmantle as well. They have some very neat apples.

Someday I want to try Cinnamon Spice which was found in CA and is suppost to taste like apple pie. Also, White Winter Pearmain that is one of the oldest apples, I tasted some local fruit and it was very,very good.

My apple selections are strongly based on resistance to diseases. I wanted no spray or very low spray apple trees.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We do have red jonathon and Lodi Green apples... They do well for our climate. They are all very useful for several applications, and that is important to us.

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
McIntosh apples. I grew up on them and we have a tree in front of our house. They are delicious any way you eat them. My grandmother used to make apple pies with them. She has a tree on her property. They are superb :)

Latest posts