What's your favorite apple(s) and why?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am just bummed that winesap and honey crisp need more chill hours then we can offer them here. :(

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I am just bummed that winesap and honey crisp need more chill hours then we can offer them here. :(
vfem,
At least you can have a few varieties of apples that do well there. It's just one of those things, great apples are grown in the north, where great peaches are grown in the south ;) .

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
Don't believe chill hours for Honeycrisp. They are being grown in Southern California. The chill hours for apples are being challanged by many growers.

Here is a link to "hot climate" apple growing. I learned some very intersesting info on growing apples from this site :)

http://www.kuffelcreek.com/applelist.htm

Sorry, I didn't realize I posted this link for the second time. I've been sick with pneumonia and I'm just now recovering. :hide

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so happy this thread got revived! I hadn't read it when it was new(I wasn't here yet ) and you guys have so much good input!
:weee
Love the links to the nurseries and articles. I hope to expand my little orchard, won't be able to this year probably, but I saved all this good info to favorites, so when I'm able to get more trees I can re-read it.
And here's yet another vote for Honeycrisp ;).
I also just bought some organic Cameo apples from the market (99 cents /lb) and they are very tasty.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Far and away, my favorite is the MacIntosh. I use them for pretty much everything...eating fresh, baking, pies, butters, sauce and juice. If I can't find them...my next for pies and sauce is Granny Smith.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
And I am glad this topic was revived! I found that there is a special nursery in Garberville of all places, that Greenmantle nursery mentioned in an early post...now to peruse their website.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Favorite depends on what I am using them for: Mutsu, honeycrisp for eating at all times, winesap for cooking. Lots of others but just a few.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to a U-pick apple orchard in OH tomorrow...30 different types of apples at my fingertips! :weee

Mutzu is on my list for apple butter, but I think I will get a sampling of quite a few to try.

Latest posts