What's your favorite apple(s) and why?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Journey, you are so lucky to be able to try so many apples before you buy. Now you will know which trees to buy in the future.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I'll probably end up buying one of everything (if I could.) :D I wish I had known of this orchard sooner. My neighbor just told me about it. Only 45 minutes away!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to plant Heritage/Antique Apples this fall. Their varieties like Grimes Golden and Virginia Beauty. These are apple from our ancestors long ago. I like the fact that theirs a part of history behind all of these varieties.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You guys have to check this website out that I found... www.orangepippin.com

Here's the excerpt from their main page describing their purpose:

Welcome to Orange Pippin

If you are interested in apple varieties and orchards you have come to the right place. Our website aims to be the most comprehensive resource for apples and orchards:
Information on over 600 apple varieties, with user reviews and a new 'vote' feature.
Listings for over 2,000 apple orchards, with easy to use search and mapping capabilities.
Find orchards worldwide that grow an apple variety you may be looking for.
Tree registry section with more than 2,500 individual trees registered, allowing growers to record their trees and log their blossom and harvest dates.
Apple resource information such as: health studies, backyard orchard articles and recipes.
Calendar of Apple Festivals and orchard events, if you are an event organisers send us details of your apple event.
800+ member forum board to discuss various topics surrounding orchards, apples and tree care.
While focused on apples, Orange Pippin also has varietal information on cherries and plums.
They have EVERYTHING you want to know about a particular apple variety...pictures of every angle of each apple, reviews, tasting notes, growth habits, where to buy, etc. Over 600 apple varieties! I was really impressed. These people are serious about apples. They have an apple ID search feature but I can't get it to load in my browser for some reason. You are supposed to be able to identify an unknown tree by narrowing down its attributes. Let me know if it works for you...

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My favorite red apple is 'Red Bevans' which is an old-timey, heirloom apple. You won't find these in a store and probably not in most roadside stands. We bought a variety of 24 apple trees over the past several years and planted them in the back forty and they're just now starting to make. We got a few this past year but now the oldest trees are turning 5 years old now and are about to hit their stride. I'm going to have to find a good organic spray and spray them down three or four times a year to keep them healthy.

bevans3.jpg

Anyways, David Vernon and his family owns the Century Farms apple orchards and he grows and sells heirloom apple trees grafted to modern root stocks. Very reasonable prices and he ships. He's very well known here in NC for his work in promoting the old-timey apple tree cultivation.

This link will take you to his web page:

http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
JimWWhite,
:)
I'm glad you mentioned Century Farms in NC, I'm going to make an order for some trees for planting this fall. Boy does he have a lot of interesting varieties like you said that cant be found in stores. I'm liking Grimes Golden and Virginia Beauty, I'll probably buy a third apple tree to extend the season. Its my first time ordering trees from David but I'm sure their worth it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
You guys have to check this website out that I found... www.orangepippin.com

Here's the excerpt from their main page describing their purpose:

Welcome to Orange Pippin

If you are interested in apple varieties and orchards you have come to the right place. Our website aims to be the most comprehensive resource for apples and orchards:
Information on over 600 apple varieties, with user reviews and a new 'vote' feature.
Listings for over 2,000 apple orchards, with easy to use search and mapping capabilities.
Find orchards worldwide that grow an apple variety you may be looking for.
Tree registry section with more than 2,500 individual trees registered, allowing growers to record their trees and log their blossom and harvest dates.
Apple resource information such as: health studies, backyard orchard articles and recipes.
Calendar of Apple Festivals and orchard events, if you are an event organisers send us details of your apple event.
800+ member forum board to discuss various topics surrounding orchards, apples and tree care.
While focused on apples, Orange Pippin also has varietal information on cherries and plums.
They have EVERYTHING you want to know about a particular apple variety...pictures of every angle of each apple, reviews, tasting notes, growth habits, where to buy, etc. Over 600 apple varieties! I was really impressed. These people are serious about apples. They have an apple ID search feature but I can't get it to load in my browser for some reason. You are supposed to be able to identify an unknown tree by narrowing down its attributes. Let me know if it works for you...
Great site Journey! Thanks for finding that and sharing it. I bookmarked it so I can read it later. I especially like the pollinator guide. That will come in handy!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, your 'Red Bevans' is one pretty apple. How did it taste? And thank you for letting us know about Century Farms! Their prices are much better than where I have been ordering from. I will definitely be ordering a Grimes Golden from them and whatever else strikes my fancy. My dad's tree is on it's last leg and I don't know how to graft. Although one day, as I have more time, I'd like to dabble in that skill. I'll use the Orange Pippin site to look up the characteristics of the trees I plan to buy.

Thistlebloom, that is right, another very necessary thing...knowing what varieties to plant together for good pollination. I was really impressed with how exhaustive the information they have is. And so very well organized and easy to search through as well.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, that Orange Pippin site is so exhaustive that I've been ignoring the laundry and housework for the entire morning!
I think I have a place in mind for a little orchard. It's where I would like to keep bees also ( someday ). The varieties available boggles my mind!

Latest posts