What's Your Favorite Outdoor Smell?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
My nose knows my soul loves the smell of...

hyacinth in the spring, lilacs on the night breeze, strawberries and tomatoes in the sun, the smell of rain, popcorn, mowing beside some of my herbs, azaleas in bloom, freshly cleaned chicken coop, new mown lawn, the scent of the -- much-hated -- black locusts in bloom, freshly-bathed babies, baked bread, pastry, cookies, etc. (I don't like to eat them, but the smell is out of this world.) grilled steak and BBQ ribs, DH after a day working outside, night-blooming 4-O'clocks, nicotiana, daphne, even corn growing on a hot summer night is heavenly.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love the smell of good bourbon, but loathe the taste, lol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honeysuckle on a balmy evening. The fresh air after a summer downpour cools every thing off. Pine woods. I second the freshly bathed babes, BBQ and all horsey smells. I love to smell newly mown hay, but it does make me sneeze. Dill when you brush by it in the garden...something about the smell of dill just makes me instantly happy. And good strong coffee brewing first thing in the morning (for some reason the smell is less noticeable after you get to drink it.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh...I just noticed that So Lucky said favorite outdoor smells.Since I never bake bread outdoors, that doesn't count. But if I was outdoors and walked by a bakery, THAT would count as a favorite outdoor smell.
And I often hug dh outdoors when he gets home.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooh! I'm gonna have to go take an antihistamine! My bloodhound nose takes a real beating this time of year!

Umm ... BBQ can be nice but these self-cleaning gas jobs sure stink up the neighborhood. I don't like that ...

I know they are invasive some places and the scent evolves into something that isn't as pleasant as at first but I drive by several Russian olive trees. The government planted them so this species must be kept under control by our winters. Anyway, it is the first few days I can get the window down on the truck, warm weather has arrived! That's pretty much what that fragrance means to me!

I talked on here about the mock orange and how they are so incredibly common here as wild plants. They are all around me where I park the pickup at the little veggie garden! That's not the best neighborhood and it kind of wonderful that those bushes are there for everyone!

Lots of things! I'm going to click "draft" and save this while I go about my day, thinking . . .

Day's finished :), Hyacinth, from a distance and, apple blossoms from up close. . . the sunwarmed needles beneath a pine.

Steve

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My favourite outdoor smell has to be salty sea air, followed closely by (don't laugh) cow manure. The reason for that is that I worked weekends on a dairy farm in my very difficult teenage years and my happiest times was escaping to the farm and spending time with the cows and bottle feeding calves. To this day, when I smell fresh cow poop my head is filled with happy memories :) Other smells I love is the earth after a summer rain storm and jasmine flowers and horses! They have such a unique smell.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it looks like I have to go smell a horse! Not sure I've ever have. I like the smell of english roses and compost!

Mary

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm allergic to horses, so y'all will have to sniff them instead of me, lol

Latest posts