What's Your Favorite Outdoor Smell?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@sumi, I totally understand the pleasant scent of cow manure. As a child, my best times were visiting Aunt Claris's farm. I loved running barefoot through the barnyard and even cleaning the milking barn. The smell brings back warm memories.

@ninnymary, there is nothing like the aroma of a horse -- except maybe the scent of its saddle -- warm and earthy with rippling muscles underneath its soft pelt. Even sniffing leather tack or riding jeans can bring warm memories of riding free over the fields.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Smart Red I'm tripping down memory lane now. I remember that milky smell of the warm milk and letting the calves suck my fingers, because working outside at 05:00am in the middle of winter made them numb with cold! The cows didn't appreciate me trying to warm them on their udders!

@ninnymary You should!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lived such a sheltered life. I need to find a horse! :D

Mary
Here's one! This is my DH and Joe, my cremello Quarter Horse. Both are big guys with blue eyes and white hair. :love You come see me and you can ride Joe. He has two speeds--SLOW and STOP!

BJ and Joe.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee Joe is such a sweetheart. My DH bought him for me shortly after we married. Joe was neglected, skinny and his hooves were infected. He unties knots, yanks on shoe strings, and licks my arm, legs, toes, any exposed skin. Why? Durned if I know, but he closes his eyes and licks and licks and licks. What a funny fella. Anybody is safe on him.

My avatar is my neighbors 89 year old father, Amos, riding Joe. The day Amos died, I wrote a short story for my neighbor that I later entered in a contest at Tractor Supply. I won 3rd place, but the best prize I got was taking a copy of their magazine Out Here to my neighbor and the story of her father was in it.

Latest posts