Whats your favorite veggie

CrestedHorizonPoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What is your favorite veggie out of the garden, what is it called and why is it your favorite?

I love Crimson Okra. I love to eat fried okra. Yummo!! If I have extra, I bread it just as tho I was going to fry it and place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. As soon as it is frozen, I put it in a freezer bag and put it back in the freezer. I cook it frozen, just like I would normally cook it if it were just out of the garden and it is wonderful!!!

If I were to pick a second it would be zucchini...I make a yummy zucchini pie!!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh my, is this a trick question? I love lots & lots of veggies fresh picked from the garden and it's easier to ask what I don't like cause the list is much shorter-turnips, rutabagas, brussel sprouts :sick

If I have to pick one over the others, I'd have to say tomatoes because they are so versatile.....I mean, what CAN'T ya do with tomatoes?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I am getting impatient waiting on my Garlic... I just LOVE garlic. Then would be tomatoes, and probably asaragus after that. ;)

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Squash...all of em. Summer and winter squash. SO far favorite summer is the little scallop bush squash and buttercup is my favorite winter squash. But trying several new varieties this year, so we will see!
Then tomatoes,sweet corn Illini extra sweet, lima beans (I eat them right out of the garden) ...my list could keep going and going...

Christie :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a little tricky . . . even veggies I don't like very much, I can be happy enuf eating when prepared a certain way.

Snap peas! Oh yeah! These are probably the greatest new development during my lifetime as a gardener. I would like to shake the hand of Dr. Calvin Lamborn (of Idaho :)) who developed snap peas and won an All-America award in 1979! They might rank as a favorite just because they were such a special addition to my gardening!

Tomatoes are the most fun for me to have in the garden . . . even more than flowers or any other vegetables.

Peppers have to fit into a "smell and crave" category! I don't think anything could smell quite as nice as lovely Italian sweet pepper frying in the pan.

But . . .First, green beans! I think I could almost live on green beans. Easy to grow, too! Second, sweet corn! A plate of fresh from the garden green beans and sweet corn . . . maybe a little butter! Third, baby beets!

Succession plant your beets so you can have the babies when the green beans and sweet corn are ready. Then you can put them all on the same plate and everything can be stained purple ;)! A mess of veggies fit for a gardener king (or, queen) :)!

Steve

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hands down.....tomatoes! Also very very fond of poblano peppers and Anaheim chilis, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, broccoli, etc etc etc. Can't stand brussel sprouts or okra. Giving a single eggplant a trial this year, to see if it's really as bad as hubby says.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, I have no idea. Winte squash, probably, and also cucumbers and grean beans and broccoli.... I love all veggies.

Actually there are only two kinds I dislike, and i can't even swallow them... peas and lima beans. Other then that, I love them all.

BUT lets don't forget the fruits that can easily be grown in the garden.... strawberried and malons and watermelons. YUMMM! (Yes I know the melons are really veggies.... but they count as fruits to me. :D)

Latest posts