When Do you Turn On Your Heat?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Snow forecasted for tomorrow night here. Yup, Tuesday October 2. So, tomorrow night for the heat. *sigh* :barnie

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heather, Glacier still has a Red Flag fire warning! Well :/, I can't help think that the stormy weather moving in should cancel out some of the fire danger in fairly short order!

DW had the heat on after the 2 nights we had frost - well, there was 1 night of frost.

Honestly, I was pleased but I can't leave her in charge of the heat. First of all, she "adjusts" it without putting her glasses on :rolleyes:. Also, I'm up at least an hour before she wakes and often turn it down when I go to bed even if it is an hour before she does. She forgets . . :rolleyes:.

The last 2 nights, she opened a bedroom window :rolleyes:. Okay, it was 54 for a low the 1st night - that, believe it or not - was the warmest low in September. Once again, I found it a comfortable decision altho' it was like a flashback to August. And, speaking of flashbacks - she's already been thru all that . . . well, she went thru that without having them.

Steve
the snow, the frost . . . they are on their way!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know I lived my life imagining upstate NY had the worst weather in the world. Knowing all of you folks, makes me think more positively about our weather!! No heat on here yet, and I am knocking on wood when I say this.... no frost yet, either. Stay warm!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will try to hold out turning on the heat or firing up the wood stove as long as possible, maybe mid november.

I have 2 heating pads set at about 100 degrees named Clevland and Peeper. Clev will sleep on my feet, and always when it gets cold, Peep climbs under the covers, head on my right shoulder.

This year I am going with small fires of Manzanita instead of bigger fires of Oak or Fir. Reminds me, I have to chop up a 4 year's supply of tinder and kindling to last a good 4 months. Tinder and kindling go about 12 times as fast as I always plan! Sometimes I only burn the small stuff, but it'll be the hot small Manzanita wood fires this winter. Shoot, have not even got the tarp out for my wood pile yet!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so excited about our heat this winter! We eliminated the horribly inefficient propane fireplace that was our primary heat source and installed ( well DH is not quite finished...) a wood stove. Until we bought this house we always heated with wood, and I do love a wood fire. I found a killer deal on a wood stove on Craigs list last fall too It is a 20 year old never burned in stove that the people had moved with them from house to house and finally decided they weren't going to remodel. It's a beautiful Belgium made enameled cast iron that if I bought new would cost me 1800 bucks ( yeah I researched it! ) but I got it for $400 :) .

We don't usually turn the heat on until mid to late October, but once the stove is installed I won't have to wait until we can see our breath indoors to fire it up. Also if the power goes out we can still be warm :) , and that is a load off my mind.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a deal, Thistle! Is it like the old-fashioned pretty ones that you can cook on top of if you want to?

catjac1975 said:
Ah to be able to sleep like your husband........
Yeah! Sometimes I envy him, other times I wonder how I'd get him up if the house was on fire. :barnie I have always been a very light sleeper. Every little thing wakes me up. Partly a mom thing I guess and perhaps a little paranoia from my own mom rubbed off on me. :rolleyes:

Nyboy said:
What a good dog watching over your daughter at night. Glad your ok, tripped over my dogs many a night
Yes, they are best buddies, inseparable. Used to be my dog. LOL :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I bought my country home one of the things I loved was fireplace in livingroom. I had visions of romantic nights drinking wine cuddling in front of a blazing fire. There was a big pile of firewood stacked against the house right next to kitchen door. Looking foward to my first fire I picked up a log, out crawled a snake, I screamed like a little girl, dropped the log and ran. The next day guys came and converted wood buring fireplace to gas, Big free sign was put on wood pile.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This past weekend we had a fire in the woodstove one night. It had been rainy and damp for 3 days. If it had just been me and the farmer, he would have told me to "suck it up!" But, we had guests, so....we had heat! We too heat primarily with wood and will not begin until the end of October, first of November.

Latest posts