When Do you Turn On Your Heat?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
When I bought my country home one of the things I loved was fireplace in livingroom. I had visions of romantic nights drinking wine cuddling in front of a blazing fire. There was a big pile of firewood stacked against the house right next to kitchen door. Looking foward to my first fire I picked up a log, out crawled a snake, I screamed like a little girl, dropped the log and ran. The next day guys came and converted wood buring fireplace to gas, Big free sign was put on wood pile.
:yuckyuck

Yep, they love woodpiles, and mice too. My BIL found a hornets nest in his woodpile this summer. Needless to say, the wood hasn't been split and stacked, ready to go for winter yet.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turned the heat on at 2am, this morning :rolleyes:. There is frost here again.

Okay, heavier blanket tonight . . . but, the heat felt good.

:p

Steve

Edited to Add: our average daily temperature is dropping out of the 60's again. checking back, i see that we turned the heat on in september once the average between high & low went below 55. i suppose that could be some kind of rule of thumb for this olde house.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pshhhaw, frost is all you got steve? We actually got the promised snow, down to 4,000 ft elevation...pretty close to the valley floor. And freezing rain overnight here. Worst thing is, the snow didnt melt off today like i expected it to! So just hiding in the house with the heat on! Blah.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heat was turned on for the first time about 2 weeks ago when it go cold and froze my garden off 2 nights in row. Once it warmed up, heat was off.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa is counting her blessing, living in upstate New York.

Seedcorn in NE Indiana had a frost about the same time as here.

Heather, your valley floors are higher than the floors here. Schweitzer Basin & the other ski resorts got snow and sent out pictures to prove it . . . :rolleyes: I could really do without the snow for awhile. The 35 mph gusts from the north that preceded this chill, that wind & the dust it kicked up, I could have done without that, too :/.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 50 at night and 82 during afternoons here still.

Just under 2,000 feet, 105 Raven flying miles north of Golden Gate, about 50 from the coast, getting to be 200 feet from the lake which is lowering...E dock is dry, D dock is getting there.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess y'all would be upset with me that I woke up this morning and went OMGolly It's so HOT and HUMID! And proceeded to turn on the AC?? LOL It's 6am and already 70! It's predicted to be cooler than yesterday but the high is still 81! The lowest high of the week will be next Monday... and they have predicted it to be 64 with a low of 48. I'll wake up in the morning and rejoice! LOL

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a little on the hot side here too. Weather guy says this is probably our last summery streak so we better enjoy it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Places where the humidity and the temperatures are both high :/ . . . those USA places have been vacation destination stops . . . and, I was careful to be there during the nicer times of the year :cool:.

A few hundred miles northwest of Marshall's home, we had the heat on every month of the year! With a view of Humboldt Bay from the front yard of my old home on the coast, it was always humid, usually cool and often windy.

If that notion I have that an average daily temperature of 55 would be low enough for me to turn the heat on in the house -- we would have been paying for heat on 4 July days and 8 days in August this year!

I looked up the WS page for Arcata, California & counted :rolleyes:.

Steve

Latest posts