When to Plant What?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure where to put this but this seems as good a forum as any . . .

I want you all to think about looking around your garden and taking note of what the plants that have been out there all winter are up to. And then, use them for an idea of when to plant seed and set out plants in your annual garden.

Some of these plants may be natives and that should be even more appropriate. They have gone thru generations of "self-care" :) and have a sensible idea of what they are up to in your neck of the woods.

The subject is called Phenology and it is really quite fascinating. If we pay some attention, it puts us in balance with what is naturally going on around us.

Keep in mind that the calendar has to do with the sun. It doesn't change because of shifts in storm patterns. The tree growing in your front yard, has never learned to read a calendar ;).

Here are some ideas from About.com . As far as I'm concerned - the timing is "pushing it" -- there may be a number of reasons to wait just a little later before sowing or transplanting. I've already mentioned in the "Peas" thread that I use the flowering of the Oregon Grape to cue the planting of the wrinkle-seeded varieties. But, this guide looks about right to me . . . there's also that plant corn "when the oak leaves are the size of squirrel ears" thing that quite a few of us know about.

Here are some more ideas on the subject.

Happy Gardening :),
Steve

Latest posts