When TV Was Free

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... i can't use it any more to culture yogurt or dry things
Wow, multifunctional!

:)

This old house has a bedroom off ... the front room. This is the second old home I have bought with that feature. I'm still not sure how much I like it.

Anyway, I put pillows on the lazyboy in the evening. They migrate back through the bedroom door sometime, every morning ;).

Steve
oops, was this the thread to talk about rooms and pillows?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Webster's definition. It seems usage rather than furniture may be more important.

parlor

noun

par·lor | \ ˈpär-lər \
Definition of parlor
(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : a room used primarily for conversation or the reception of guests: such as

a : a room in a private dwelling for the entertainment of guests

b : a conference chamber or private reception room

c : a room in an inn, hotel, or club for conversation or semiprivate uses

2 : any of various business places - a funeral parlor a beauty parlor

parlor

adjective
Definition of parlor (Entry 2 of 2)

1 : used in or suitable for a parlor - parlor furniture

2a : fostered or advocated in comfortable seclusion without consequent action or application to affairs - parlor bolshevism

b : given to or characterized by fostering or advocating something (such as a doctrine) in such a manner

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was once access to the basement through the floor along one wall. Behind that wall is the current basement stairwell, a closet and a bathroom.

The wall between the living room and this room-with-a-bed is not as old as the house. Sooo, it was once very much a part of a front room ... I imagine that it was a dining area and there would be room for a large table without placing either table or chairs over that long-ago hatch to the basement. The closet etc. may have been a pantry and one could pass through it on the way to the kitchen ...

The entire back of the house is "newer" construction complete with newer basement rooms and foundations.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love old houses.
Oh ... Good Grief ...

DW says she loves this house. The floor plan is okay, just a little too narrow. Maybe that's what she loves. Maybe she loves the exterior. It is very simple, like something you would see on a Montana prairie 100 years ago ... okay, that's mostly in my imagination.

Everything is in some stage of exhaustion. Including the maintaining homeowner. Functioning but ... Anything done to renovate, even the simplest, will have long-term effects somewhat at odds with what has been done before. Fit? In no real sense of the word :rolleyes:.

steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like your style Bay ;) Bedrooms are for sleeping. Kitchens to eat and catch up with the families day.

that works for some people just fine and i'm all for it if that's what you like and it makes you happy.

the house here is very small in that if Mom is in the other room watching t.v. i get to listen to it unless i put on my ear muffs (which i do at times when i want to concentrate on something). we also often have conversations where i'm laying here on the futon and she's in her rocking chair by the fireplace. of course our most frequent phrase is "What? I can't hear you!" :) because she's usually walking around when talking to me, between the clanking of the washing machine, the running of the microwave, the heater/air conditioning fan, etc. it's not always as quiet as it needs to be to hear clearly. plus she says i don't talk loud enough - sorry Mom, i'm not a screamer - don't start a conversation and walk away, etc. :) we usually laugh about it and say it again if we can remember what we said the first time.

conversations sometimes can be a work of fragments in progress stitched together throughout a day, week, month...

hard to believe i've been here over 10yrs already... :)

Latest posts