Where am I??

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
only on the east side of the mountain.. puget sound is more or less part of bellingham..

mount rainier and mount baker connected by two hours drive have a great effect on the climate.. it is opposite of desert because all the clouds dump their water to rise over the mountains to the west side.. so it is VERY green there.. beautiful.. then as you go south it just gets warmer.. but if you go to the right (eastern side) of the mountains then YES desert..

I want so badly to move back to washington but it is soooo expensive on that slim part of the state.. but the desert side is much more affordable.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smom, Desertgirl will tell us to "shut up" any minute now but . . .

I live on that "right side" of the mountains - and about 300 miles away. Right thru the desert and at the foot of the Rockies. Affordable, it may be but making any income becomes a big question. Opportunities are nearly as dry as an August afternoon . . .

On the other hand,
I'm waiting for some of your Cascade volcanoes to once again bring a big part of Western Washington here!! Always an exciting event :weee !

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was reading about the old rule of thumb known as the Bioclimatic Law: Each degree of latitude = 400 feet in elevation. Of course, other conditions have to be equal.

The elevation of my garden is at just over 2,000 feet and its 48N. That would place my gardening environment at just above 7,000 feet in the Albuquerque neighborhood.

Conditions that aren't the same include: its arid here with only about 20 inches of annual precipitation and most of that coming as snow but Albuquerque is drier still. And, I've got more light in the Summer here at 48 north latitude.
I've also got much less sunlight in the Winter but I blame that mostly on Puget Sound overcast that blows in here :barnie..

Steve

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I lived in bellingham at the top of a little hill.. but if you went to the end of the street you could see the water so I would say we were at around 250 feet above sea level.. now I live in Pensacola fl.. its ok.. not as pretty was back home but definitly warmer. I would love to move back.. my parents still live there..

my brother just bought his first house this week it is a one bed one bath condo for 150,000 my house is a 5 bed on 1/4 acre for under 100K

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lived around these volcanoes all my life . . . by that measure, the 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens wasn't all that long ago :old.

I don't even like to think about any of them rumbling back to life.

S'

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I remember that .. I was 4 but I was there.. bellingham wasnt really affected ..

I was just there (seattle) in December.. oh it was soooo beautiful!

My mother and my father and my brother still live there.. I really miss my family..

My mom has this condo and they have an entire gardening section.. (really cool) and she got one last year and gets to keep it.. she is getting ready to plant .. and how i wish I could be there.. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are all in this together, kid ;).

I was just looking at your weather there in the Florida panhandle: highs in the 80's, lows in the 60's. Quite a contrast to DesertGirl's 35 temperature swings overnight . . .

Seattle and my garden look like they will have just about the same weather over the next week - some sun, some rain and fairly cool, a little colder here. This pattern concerns me a little since winds directly from the west are often rather strong and biting. Yep, our snow level is supposed to drop to 1900 feet Tuesday night so . . . guess what?

Continuing to scurry around protecting green things. Hardening-off is getting harder with so many plants. Gardening Limbo . . . okay, some of us are there and some of us are at the border ;). But,

♪ When you're headin' for the border, Lord
You're bound to cross the line. ♪

Steve

:rainbow-sun