Where can I find these seeds?

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was hoping for some assistance. I bought this seed packet a few years ago, and my whole family loved the melons I grew from it! The problem is I need to replace the packet and I cannot find these seeds anywhere!! Searching burpee shows nothing at all, I have a question emailed to burpee but have yet to hear back. Does anyone know where I may find seeds for this melon?
image.jpg

HoleySmokes

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've never even heard of it. It sounds like a very good melon from the description. Those are an heirloom variety so if you do buy these, save some seeds.

Here is some seed. Cantaloupe is pretty easy to start from seed so I guess these should be too.

Your tag says 'hybrid' so I would say that is going to be even harder to find.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never even heard of it. It sounds like a very good melon from the description. Those are an heirloom variety so if you do buy these, save some seeds.

Here is some seed. Cantaloupe is pretty easy to start from seed so I guess these should be too.

i would say that "Ananas melons are small to moderately sized, oval fruits, averaging 3-5" in diameter." is probably a reason why many people would not grow them. hybrid varieties of such would be interesting for someone with a lot of space.

that's my problem with growing both melons and squash, i'd like to grow a lot more varieties to see what works but i also want to grow ones that i know we already like too so... always a question of how many and where.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
These site used to sell it.

CONTACT US​

TEL: (760) 353-1036
FAX: (760) 353-2233
sales@emeraldseed.com
I have bought from Eden Brothers

When you search go Past page one. Companies pay for being on page one, but the search engine will find you many places.
Hope this is what you are looking for.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Creme de la Creme may be difficult, as @HoleySmokes says.

Burpee used to carry a hybrid charentais melon - Honey Girl. Then, they didn't.

In this melon-challenged environment, I had Honey Girls through 5 seasons and it performed well in 4. Very nice and a good enough performance. A hybrid, it was suddenly gone. So, I tried 4 or 5 different charentais hybrids/& not, and not one performed well, even giving them a couple of seasons trial.

Dove may be worth a try for you. Wishing You Luck

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am finding a lot of old favorites unavailable since Covid. Because it is a hybrid you will not likely find it at a place like seed savers. Burpee keeps evolving their seed thru continual trials in hybridization. If they answer your inquiry they may be able to direct you towards the next melon they have developed with like traits. My best melon has been with Hale's Best.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
i would say that "Ananas melons are small to moderately sized, oval fruits, averaging 3-5" in diameter." is probably a reason why many people would not grow them. hybrid varieties of such would be interesting for someone with a lot of space.

that's my problem with growing both melons and squash, i'd like to grow a lot more varieties to see what works but i also want to grow ones that i know we already like too so... always a question of how many and where.
Hybrid melons will not breed true from saved seed.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another that would be worth a try is Ananas D'Amérique A Chair Verte Melon, aka Green Fleshed Pineapple.

Baker Creek used to carry it. Not sure who has it now. This is what they had on their website: This historic heirloom was grown by Thomas Jefferson in 1794. It was offered commercially in the USA in 1824, and it was illustrated in color in France in 1854 in the Vilmorin Album. This wonderful variety has become very rare. The fruit have netted skin and light green flesh that is firm, sweet and highly perfumed. Productive plants can be trained up a trellis.

Another site said:
Melon, Melone Ananas Ananas Melon. Ananas means pineapple in Italian and this netted melon has the aroma of pineapple. Large fruit on a vigorous and productive plant. Netted melon with yellow sweet flesh. Ananas melons are small to moderately sized, oval fruits, averaging 12 to 17 centimeters in diameter. The rind is firm, ranging in color from green to golden yellow depending on maturity, and is covered in a rough, tan netting. Underneath the thin rind, the flesh is aqueous with a soft but dense consistency, encasing a small cavity of light brown seeds suspended in a gelatinous liquid. The flesh also ranges in color from pale yellow to ivory, but depending on the specific variety, it may also appear pale green, orange, to white. Ananas melons have a notable, perfumed aroma similar to the scent of pineapples. When ripe, the melons bear a sweet, tropical, and floral flavor followed by a faint, caramel-like aftertaste.
Ananas melons, botanically classified as Cucumis melo, are sweet fruits belonging to the reticulatus group, which encompasses melons with rinds covered in a rough netting. Ananas in French and Italian translates to mean “pineapple,” and the melon received its tropical name from its sweet, floral taste and aroma. Ananas melons have also acquired many other names over time, including Sharlyn melons, Pineapple melons, Khoob melons, Israeli or Middle Eastern melons, and Ananas D’Amerique a Chair Verte in France. Ananas melons are considered to be somewhat rare, seasonally found through specialty growers, and there are multiple sweet melon varieties varying in appearance that are generally labeled under the Ananas name in local markets and home gardens.
The history of Ananas melons is mostly unknown, with some experts connecting it to older melon varieties found in regions of Northern Africa and the Middle East. The sweet melon variety became popular in the United States and was first documented in the 19th century, where it was featured in multiple American seed catalogs in 1824. Ananas melons were also famously noted in M.M. Vilmorin-Andrieux’s book "The Vegetable Garden" in 1885. Today Ananas melons are somewhat rare to find and are grown for specialty markets, especially in Europe and the United States. 90-95 days.

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

It was a fantastic melon, very aromatic, sweet and juicy. They were actually pretty large, easily the size of a store bought honeydew. Burpee said they are no longer making in so I’ll have to experiment with some other varieties.

Latest posts