Where Does Your Dog Sleep?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
After @Nyboy's comment about people having their dogs bathed every week because they slept with them, I got to wondering how many of us let the dog sleep in their bed, on their bed, or in the bed room, in a crate, in another room, etc. Of course I know many people have outside dogs, so this isn't necessarily directed at you. But for the inside dogs, how do you handle bedtime?
Penny starts off the night in the crate in the living room, but lately she has been wanting out about 2:30, to go potty, then I just spend the rest of the night on the couch, with her sleeping in her chair. I know she would follow me to the bedroom if I didn't stay in the living room; she follows me everywhere. I am not ready to succumb to her sleeping in the bedroom yet. But she has me trained, anyway. :oops:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Garbanzo the dog visits fairly often. At home, I am fairly sure that 7# Garbanzo sleeps on DD's bed. Equally small Waffles sleeps in his crate because his toilet habits cannot be trusted.

When Garbanzo is here, she sleeps in a crate with a towel wrapped around it ... for privacy. She seems quite happy with that.

Until this little dog came along, DW was adamant that a dog's "place" was outdoors. Garbanzo is so little trouble indoors that DW fusses around making her comfortable.

You are right, I suspect, So Lucky. Dogs train us. We can be stubborn, however.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't like to share my bed. Dogs sleep in dog beds in livingroom, I also have a crate there door is never closed, often one will sleep there. Some times one will sleep, in my bedroom on the floor. When my mother died I gave my father one of my dogs, she was very well trained, never went on bed or furniture.In no time she was sleeping in his bed jumping on furniture. Dogs do not see crate as a cage, but more as a den. K9 in the wild are den dwelling animals.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dog crate in my bedroom. I like to be able to hear if there is a problem. I read somewhere long ago, that having the dog in the bedroom counts as "quality time" spent, even though you are sleeping. Not sure how true that is- but it works for me.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cee Cee has a bed under the TV with good views of the front, back, and patio doors as well as her family. Since we got the table she sleeps under, we have had far fewer almost 'trips' over a sleeping dog in the center of the room.

I have an old corner (couch) cushion in the bedroom corner closest to me. She sleeps there at night although she will often play guard dog and sleep in front of the door to the deck from our room.

That's where she sees -- or imagines seeing -- all the night beasties and prowlers. At least her occasional barking at midnight would indicate something terrible is outside that needs her attention.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was young and unmarried, I let my pit, Sierra, sleep in the bed with me. My chow-mix never wanted to, as she was so fuzzy and got too hot. She always slept in the kitchen and was a great guard dog with a big bark for her size. Of course, DH was not cool with a dog in the bed. So Sierra then slept on the floor beside my bed, but then once Ava had her own room, the dog took to sleeping beside her bed. I always thought it was so sweet that she wanted to look after "her" child, her best buddy. That went on until she could no longer climb the stairs last year, so now she sleeps behind the recliner in the living room. If I had my way though, I'd still have a dog in the bed. ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
NO DOGS in my bed. From time to time Bell, one of the cats I don't have, will try sleeping on the bed. No room for my feet, no space to move about, tight bedding at my side. No thank you! DH is bad enough now that he's sick. I'm fighting for my half of the bed every night. Never win!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I compromise. Both dogs sleep either on the floor of the bedroom, or someplace else in the house. They are essentially farm work dogs who live in inside. They sleep the soundest right after we leave for work and after dinner. They sleep light at night, one of my dogs often barks at the coywolves and my other dog is my alarm clock in the morning. I got a bigger bedspread because if I go to the bedroom before my DH, my dogs will want to lay on the bed, and the bedspread keeps the rest of the bed clean.
I sleep sounder with dogs in the house at night.

Latest posts