White House gardening

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LoL They could air the story a million times on NPR and I'd never hear it once.:p

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lettuce Lady said:
okiemommy said:
:lol: :lol:

I wonder how long it's been since the White House has had a Victory Garden? Interesting for sure.
According to the NY Times Eleanor Roosevelt was the last one to have a veggie garden at the White House.

Now gardens are going to become even more trendy. :/ I don't want to be trendy I'm just too lazy to go to the store.
I read something that siad the Bush's had a few veggies growing at the white house.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The woman has never gardened before in her life!! The groundskeepers & kitchen staff are in charge of the garden(head chef mainly). All we will see of them out there is photo ops nothing else. You do not start a 1100sf garden never doing it before. There have been container gardens going at the white house for a long time. The Clintons head chef had a herb garden while there. The Bush's had container's. Reagans had tomatoes, even in the green house.

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
The woman has never gardened before in her life!! The groundskeepers & kitchen staff are in charge of the garden(head chef mainly). All we will see of them out there is photo ops nothing else. You do not start a 1100sf garden never doing it before. There have been container gardens going at the white house for a long time. The Clintons head chef had a herb garden while there. The Bush's had container's. Reagans had tomatoes, even in the green house.
Y'know what? If I could afford a gardener to take care of my garden and pick my fresh veggies I would do it in a heartbeat. At least she's committed to making sure her kids eat fresh locally grown foods and she's giving school kids the opportunity to find out where food comes from and how to eat healthy. If she never walks out to the garden again I applaud her effort and the example she's setting. I hope every kid who comes to see her garden goes home and gets their parents to plant just one tomato plant and a container of lettuces.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If you read the article she claims it is "her" garden & she will be working it all the time. Which I know better & so does most people. I would not hire someone to tend my garden, because I want to make sure it stays 100% organic & I enjoy working in my garden. I get a lot of satisfaction in knowing it was "MY" hard work & effort to put that food on my families table. Plus it is not very self sufficient to pay someone to do something you can do yourself. Not to mention all the exercise I get from gardening & stress relief(weed pulling). I commend them for publicizing they are putting in a garden at the white house, but they need to be honest about who is really doing the work.

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all- this is my first post here- I'm on BYC too!

I think it is really cool that they are making a "Victory Garden" again at the White House. Even if it is going to be tended to by gardener's and staff, I think its a good message to send out to everyone else. If home gardening becomes trendy- awesome! I'll be cool again... lol... but really, organic gardening does seem to be a trend, but isn't that really a good thing to get people out growing their own food in a healthy way?

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
All I want is people to be honest. It is a white house garden, not an Obama garden. Glad they are doing it no matter who tends it. I enjoy teaching others about gardening & leave it up to them if they want to do it organic or not. Me I have been organic gardening for over 20 yrs & to be honest I could care less if it is "trendy". I would rather have it be "a way of life" than a trend as trends come & go. Truth be told there have been gardens going on at the white house for yrs, just not like they are doing again. The gardens have been in containers & planters all along.

Not trying to create problems just pointing out facts and truths.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
homesteadmom said:
All I want is people to be honest. It is a white house garden, not an Obama garden. Glad they are doing it no matter who tends it. I enjoy teaching others about gardening & leave it up to them if they want to do it organic or not. Me I have been organic gardening for over 20 yrs & to be honest I could care less if it is "trendy". I would rather have it be "a way of life" than a trend as trends come & go. Truth be told there have been gardens going on at the white house for yrs, just not like they are doing again. The gardens have been in containers & planters all along.

I just love that the garden is getting so much attention. It has to be a good thing to inform people about growing there own food and knowing where it comes from!
I am an Obama supporter but I'd love this idea no matter who was in the white house.
It doesn't matter who does the gardening it's still "The White House Garden" and it's still a great idea!

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
setter4 said:
homesteadmom said:

I just love that the garden is getting so much attention. It has to be a good thing to inform people about growing there own food and knowing where it comes from!
I am an Obama supporter but I'd love this idea no matter who was in the white house.
It doesn't matter who does the gardening it's still "The White House Garden" and it's still a great idea!
I agree with you

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I wonder if they will or will not choose to grow watermelon, after that mini scandal involving the racist picture of the White House with a watermelon patch on the front lawn and that mayor from California.

I know racial stereotypes don't stop me from growing beans. I like um and i don't care what importance others assign to them. But being the first family they may opt to be more politically correct than i tend to be. Then again I'm guessing Obama is trying to get past all that nonsense as he was not shy when it came to being photographed enjoying some fried chicken. Show me an American that doesn't enjoy fried chicken and I'll show you a vegetarian, or some one who has a hard time digesting greasy foods.