White House gardening

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh, geez! I never stopped stopped to consider all the political implications of WHAT they plant :rolleyes:

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Michelle and the girls seem very excited about the garden. My first garden was a disaster but it didn't stop me from the renewed hope each spring.
I got a neighbor to till it for me and I asked everyone I knew for advice in the first few years. It was still my garden as the WH garden is theirs.
I don't see any dishonesty with how Michelle and the girls are approaching their first garden. It seems very sincere and heartfelt.
I love the enthusiasm.

I viewed the garden schematic and didn't see politically charged veggies.
See for yourself:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/dining/20garden.html?ref=dining

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
NO TOMATOES????? That's unAmerican, I may have to recind my support! lol

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
setter4 said:
I know, right? Especially since she makes that comment about how wonderful heirloom tomatoes are. Where's the 'maters????

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
setter4 said:
I know, right? Especially since she makes that comment about how wonderful heirloom tomatoes are. Where's the 'maters????
In next year's garden?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
I wonder if they will or will not choose to grow watermelon, after that mini scandal involving the racist picture of the White House with a watermelon patch on the front lawn and that mayor from California.

I know racial stereotypes don't stop me from growing beans. I like um and i don't care what importance others assign to them. But being the first family they may opt to be more politically correct than i tend to be. Then again I'm guessing Obama is trying to get past all that nonsense as he was not shy when it came to being photographed enjoying some fried chicken. Show me an American that doesn't enjoy fried chicken and I'll show you a vegetarian, or some one who has a hard time digesting greasy foods.
Ok.... did Obama come out apologizing the other day over a comment made about special olympics? You can NOT possibly please everyone all the time. If someone's feelings are hurt over a watermelon.... offer them some honey dew :lol:

I think I'm just sick of how touchy everyone is... I was hoping this garden thing would just convince more americans to do it. :thumbsup

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
[I think I'm just sick of how touchy everyone is... I was hoping this garden thing would just convince more americans to do it. :thumbsup
If seed sales were already up over 80% in this countrybefore this story broke, then the White house did not need to grow one to encourge the citizens to do it. It is being done as a neccessity in this country to put food on the table.

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LoL

Funny, gun sales go up 60% and its all over the news. Seed sales go up 80% and no one mentions a thing.

I guess the news media hasn't seen the report that links survivalism and self sufficiency to domestic terrorism yet. maybe the government hasn't fabricated that report into existence yet.

If you don't know where i'm coming from, I'm refering to a report on militias done in Missouri that target third party supporters, Ron Paul supporters, and supporters of the US Constitution as potential terrorists, and advises the state police to be on the look out.

It seems like soon anything less than total obedience and total dependency on the government will make you a terrorist threat.

I'm glad some State governments are starting to put their foot down.

in Montana they have legislation on the table that may challenge the authority of the federal reserve by allowing the state treasury dept to print its own currency.

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
LoL

Funny, gun sales go up 60% and its all over the news. Seed sales go up 80% and no one mentions a thing.

I guess the news media hasn't seen the report that links survivalism and self sufficiency to domestic terrorism yet. maybe the government hasn't fabricated that report into existence yet.

If you don't know where i'm coming from, I'm refering to a report on militias done in Missouri that target third party supporters, Ron Paul supporters, and supporters of the US Constitution as potential terrorists, and advises the state police to be on the look out.

It seems like soon anything less than total obedience and total dependency on the government will make you a terrorist threat.

I'm glad some State governments are starting to put their foot down.

in Montana they have legislation on the table that may challenge the authority of the federal reserve by allowing the state treasury dept to print its own currency.
I saw this list & my yes answers make me look suspicious to the gov't. Some of those questions were absolutely ridiculous!!