White Sage and Sweetgrass growing hints?

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want to grow White Sage ( Salvia apiana) and Sweetgrass (Hierochloe odorata), which I understand are used for smudge.
How hard are these to grow? I am in Northern Ohio and zone 5.
I think I found a source for seeds, but would plants be better?
Thanks!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you a romantic, Sylvie?

Richters has both for both . . .

I've only seen wild sweetgrass and what I usually call white sage isn't what you are thinking of.

Wouldn't a sweat lodge at Celilo Falls or The Dalles be a more logical place to find both in use at the same location . . . rather than northern Ohio ;)?

Steve

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Are you a romantic, Sylvie?

Richters has both for both . . .

I've only seen wild sweetgrass and what I usually call white sage isn't what you are thinking of.

Wouldn't a sweat lodge at Celilo Falls or The Dalles be a more logical place to find both in use at the same location . . . rather than northern Ohio ;)?

Steve
Could be, Steve! :happy_flower

Thanks for the Richters site-that is where I'll order from.

I have an herb garden that has room for expansion so I wanted to dedicate a bed to Native American specialty herbs.
I've bought smudge at a gift booth and loved the scent.
I can always use a little purification, lol!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The White Sage grows here in the Southwestern Deserts. My neighbor has a plant in a big pot under a Mesquite Tree. I think you may have too much humidity... But, it is worth a try.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The humidity is my concern, too. I don't want fungus or mold to dominate it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried and can not grow the white sage in my area ..(different zone and we have low humidity here when it is not raining) I think the soil is too rich and acidic ..sage likes roughing it ..but I have with great success made some wonderful smudge with other varieties of sage ..I wrap mine with pine and it smells just like the desert southwest to me :)

I love to burn them in the summer when we sit outside it reminds me of nights in the desert (and keeps the mosquitos away!)

a nice smudge makes the world a very nice place :)
you do feel purified when you burn one ...as I have remodeled my house I have burned one in each room when the room was finished

I think we will burn one tonight

pack your smudge firm and tight ...like a good cigar .. gives it a better burn...(just a hint in case you have not made one before) ..there is a knack to getting them tight and dry evenly ..and getting the string on right ...took me a few tries to get them right

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I tried and can not grow the white sage in my area ..(different zone and we have low humidity here when it is not raining) I think the soil is too rich and acidic ..sage likes roughing it ..but I have with great success made some wonderful smudge with other varieties of sage ..I wrap mine with pine and it smells just like the desert southwest to me :)

I love to burn them in the summer when we sit outside it reminds me of nights in the desert (and keeps the mosquitos away!)

a nice smudge makes the world a very nice place :)
you do feel purified when you burn one ...as I have remodeled my house I have burned one in each room when the room was finished

I think we will burn one tonight

pack your smudge firm and tight ...like a good cigar .. gives it a better burn...(just a hint in case you have not made one before) ..there is a knack to getting them tight and dry evenly ..and getting the string on right ...took me a few tries to get them right
Great post! Thank you!!!You've given me information that didn't occur to me to ask for.
I didn't know about packing tight-do you dry the plants completely before packing or pack fresh?
I'll try the pine, too.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did not know about any of this, and I can't believe I missed this post earlier. I'm doing some research on smudge now as I find this so interesting and the thought reminds me of something I can't put my finger on from when I was growing up. I may have to do this just to figure out what memory its bringing back all of a sudden?!

Good thread!!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok I found this and the rolling is similar but look at what she says about garden sage? I have never had a problem but I only burn them either in the yard or in a well ventalated room as I would anything else I would burn

http://www.altnature.com/thegarden/smudge.htm

wow I have done this for years and years and always have them going at summer parties to keep the bugs away..and have never had anyone react to my smudge ...my husband has pretty bad allergies. and he likes the smell

..she rolls similar but I let my herbs hang a couple of days so they do not mold when drying ...so mine are more than half dry when I make them

I wish you were here so I could show you how I knot them ..it is so much easier to show someone in person ..

I kind of do it like a roast beef where you slip knot it down one side... I hang them up and as they dry I pull my knots tighter ..not too tight just snug enough

everything is packed like a cigar kind of then they burn in a nice ash ....as she says in her page not too tight just firm but not loose because you will have a mess of crumbles that catch on fire

the trick is thinking you want it to ash not flame you know? so you have to have it packed

these are good instructions but I dont know about the people reacting to the garden sage I have never heard of that

I toss sage on my grill when I cook for smoke ..especially with chicken..to enhance the flavor ..

people can "react" to anything so I guess as she says be careful ..

I googled smudge rolling there are lots of ideas for them
it is the time of year to start making them that is for sure

I have even used pineapple sage with rosemary and that was nice if not "traditional"

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
your hands get a mess so I wear gloves to roll
and I use a mat as well I have a bamboo placemat that works well

also lavendar, pine (or rosemary) and sage together outstanding :)
that is my favorite combo actually

Latest posts