White Sage and Sweetgrass growing hints?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Would any sage do? I have the normal sage and also pineapple sage growing (thriving) in a container. I ignore the heck out of it and the rosemary, they like it rough. (I myself was quite surprised they would do here in our zone HiDelight, but there they are!)

:watering

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used the sage we can grow here for years to make smudge but as mentioned in the above link I guess people can "react" to it? ..I use it!

and you are right I have many differing types of sage growing but the white sage I just could not get

I even tried it in a pot on the deck where it was dry and still could not get it to grow ...I think it needs very alkaline soil

we can go to Eastern Washinton and pick it I have done that before

Sylvie if I go this summer I will send you some if you like ...it grows like crazy in the east of he mountains

thanks for starting this thread I love doing this

there is something very special about burning a nicely rolled smudge

I have seen them for as high as $12 each in pretentious herb stores locally

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
... we can go to Eastern Washinton and pick it I have done that before

Sylvie if I go this summer I will send you some if you like ...it grows like crazy in the east of he mountains

. . .
Well, see, that's what I think of as white sage but Sylvie is talking about Salvia apiana.

The USDA says it is only in CA, altho' AZ may be close enuf.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAAP2

:idunno

Steve

edited for the link.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
HiDelight said:
... we can go to Eastern Washinton and pick it I have done that before

. . .
Well, see, that's what I think of as white sage but Sylvie is talking about Salvia apiana.

The USDA says it is only in CA, altho' AZ may be close enuf.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SAAP2

:idunno

Steve

edited for the link.
well I am the first one to admit not knowing the names of most plants ..I just know what I have and what I want :) ..looks to me like I have been growing that type in my garden! but it is not the type I learned were good for smudge ..(although I use it for them!) ..whatever the type of sage that grows in Eastern WA is really what I was shown to make smudge with ..it has fine little leaves and a fresh sagey smell not quite as strong as that one...

my sister's ex was a Navajo they lived in Santa Fe ..I spent a lot of time there and we used to go out on hikes in the desert and there is where she showed me how to gather and make smudge ..we used that fine leaf pale green sage and pinon ..then let it rest for a day before we sat on the porch and rolled until our hands were raw

good times :)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight, you're up early! (Me too, I couldn't sleep, getting chicks today and I'm excied!:clap)

Anyway, thanks for the information on smudge rolling. I am going to give it a try.

Ahh Sante Fe...those smells of smudge and pinon! I spent a weekend there on my way to Washington in October. My friend has an adobe with 3 foot walls! She says it was over 200 years old! It was magical.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is this the western sage? Fine silvery leaves:
http://www.seedman.com/image/h780.jpg

It says it is Artemisia. Sage Brush.
If it is I'll plant this too!
We have a Sweet Annie Artemisia that has such a great fragrance that I wondered about using it as well.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sylvie ..that is the "right" sage and the one can not grown here but I use when I go east to get it! ...and the one I was
taught to use!
I hope you can get it to grow!

Yes I am always up early BBH I am a middle aged woman with sleep issues..besides and off topic we have great weather and I am on my way out to dig in the garden!!! and yes I adore Santa Fe :)

we should have an online smudge roll party!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like what we are thinking of . . . . and there's quite a bit of it around here as HiDelight notes. Actually, I'm into the foothills so there are other sage species in the pines and another type of artemisia along the river banks.

I like to carry a sprig of artemisia in my shirt pocket when I'm out and about.

Artemisia tridentata is the one out in the Columbia Basin and what the heck is it doing in Massachusetts?

Steve

Latest posts