Who Has Plants That Are Family Heirlooms ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father still lives in the house my grandparents built in 1902. While on a small city lot, they had a large vetatable garden and fruit trees. Because of the depression most space was for growing food, but my grandmother love flowers and would squeeze in a few she would trade for. I have plants going back to hers, I have her hostas, lily of the valley and rose of sharon. My grandmother died when I was 3 years old, I don't remember her, but feel close to her because of these plants. Do you having anything in your garden from past family?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sadly I don't Nyboy. I only had 1 grandparent and she was a gardener of flowers only. All that I have from her is her love for gardening which is priceless and a beautiful fushia pin. How did she know I would love fushia color?

Mary

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My husbands families farm has been in the family since they came over from Germany. When we moved to Illinois 14 years ago we dug up some of his Great Grandmothers tiger daylilies and brought them with us. They are still going strong. I also have my Grandmothers Iris' too.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
All that I have is one hoya from Dad. This plant grew wildly and circled his classroom. When he retired, I was gifted with a piece of his plant. All the other many plants he had were slowly tortured to death by Mom who refused to allow me either the plants or a cutting from them.

I remember Dad getting upset when my cutting flowered while his mature plant from school never flowered again.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't either. Nothing from too far back anyway. I have some of my moms iris, and daylilies, and a giant sequoia she bought for me, which is not actually a giant yet (give it another 100 years though).

I think that's so wonderful that you have plants that belonged to your grandma NYboy. My great grandma, grandma and mom were all enthusiastic gardeners though, so I like to think I got that from them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we bought our house we were dirt poor starting out teachers. I think we made $24,000 between the 2 or us. All of my plants were free from my Mother's gardens. I still have the rose of Sharon, Hosta, iris and red maple that she gave me. Now I give my family daylilies. I tell them they just have to take them with them if the move.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have irises and daffodils from my dad's farm that were planted by my great-great-grandmother 50 years ago. They are quite simple, but I think that is so neat. It does make you feel connected. Also, I got my Egyptian walking onions from my grandmother who got them from her mother on my dad's side as well.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far it's Christmas cactus for us. It started as great Grandmas plant that has produced countless cuttings.

My Dad has an impressive collection of African Violets that I keep meaning to start cuttings from but that's really it from him.

My wife has a jackmani clematis she's transplanted I don't know how many times because of moves. Those and a number of daylily varieties that are currently at her parents house and are staying there till I feel like dealing with them.

Latest posts