Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
After the disappointing pepper crop last year, having ordered Marconi seeds and receiving hot (really hot) pepper seeds, I decided this year to plant some of the seeds I had saved from 2014. They came up just fine, after the slow start that I always have with peppers. Those and a few tomatoes are all I have started.
My enthusiasm for gardening is at about the 17% level, not 95% like it usually is this time of year.
I have already decided to plant mostly flowers in the garden this year, with just a few veggies--tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and cukes.
It is a sad state when my main concern is keeping the weeds down, not what I can grow.
Ah well. Things change.

Bee, my own experience with planting seeds from store bought (and I assume, hybrid) peppers is pretty bleak. Great germination and growth, but the peppers themselves were sub-standard. Not what the peppers were to begin with, and not an acceptable alternative. And got blossom end rot badly, to boot. Hopefully, your results will be better.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Had to reseed the lettuce and spinach yet aGAIN!!!!! :he:he:he At least I now know how to sterilize old starting soil.
Old tomato seeds are coming up. I moved them to a heat mat under a grow light downstairs.
I recently bought 12 small tomatoes, 12 small peppers and some strawberries and I put them on a bottom of a 72 cell greenhouse and on top of one of the heating maps under a grow light. Great idea! I can pour water in the tray and water from the bottom and it is a great holding place until they are transplanted to the porch before they go outside. Mid American Gardener is recommending tomato plants don't go out until Mother's Day. Even then, they could use some protection.
I transplanted the two (yes, I bought a 2nd one) 12 inch tall Better Boys to pots for the porch and put them on the south ledge. It's cloudy today, so they won't burn up.

Latest posts