Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you , I don't put the seeds planted under domes in the sunlight. They aren't under any light but stay either on top my refrigerator or in the cabinet just above. This keeps the container and its soil at about 70°f. The morning I see sprouts, they go out into the South Window and the dome is lifted or removed entirely. They may retreat back to the kitchen in the evening because their kitchen location is warmer than that room.

I say "dome" and "container" but these are usually cookie boxes from the bakery - holes punched in the bottom, the clear plastic lid over the top. There are also berry boxes from produce and a few pots in plastic bags, gathered and tied above.

Yes, the onion seed has been in open flats in the greenhouse since early February. There are some perennial herb seeds and the brassicas (cabbage, etc) out there from their sowing until now. They aren't covered with plastic. They germinate quickly in cool temperatures. All the older seedlings (tomatoes, etc.) have joined them the last few days. Greenhouse thermostat is set at 60° overnight and 64° thru the day. Of course, if the sun shines - it may be a good deal warmer. I am always hoping that the sun shines ... however, the hard work you mentioned begins for me with having to pay very close attention to the greenhouse temperatures during partly sunny, cold, windy spring days :barnie! I think tomorrow may be like that. The plants won't be happy with cold air whipping thru :eek: and, if the greenhouse is closed up, they will cook :(!

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
AARRRGGGHH!!!! EVERY time I get serious about some aspect of gardening it turns into hard work! So, I sowed lettuce in a 72 cell with a plastic top. I put it on the porch, on a south facing ledge. Everything was ok, but then I noticed that I had let them dry out. :thScenes from 2017. So, I watered it heavily and reseeded. I check on it every morning, then Saturday I pull the top off and find that it is cooking!! Literally STEAMING and I can feel the heat!!! I killed the seeds. :rant
Gotta start over and I'll put them on the east ledge this time.

I have done that with lettuce. Hope you get it going again. I am getting ready to start some.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My greenhouse is sitting on the patio with a few cups of dead plants. I brought most in and saved them. Just not warm enough and no sun. It will be warm enough to put things in it today, but no sun. Clouds and rain until about April 17. It is 39 right now. It is like not having a March, but 2 Februarys.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Starting the rest of the tomatoes today...

Yellow Pear
Cheerio
Cherokee Green Grape
Black Cherry

Cherokee Purple
Rio Fuego
Goldman's Italian American
Mrs. Schlaubaugh's Famous Strawberry (last two seeds, :fl)
Celebrity, come rain or shine it never lets me down.

New Yorker is up and growing :).
Edited to add...
Larisa's Russian Beauty and
Black Cherry
Found the safe place I was keeping them. The last two years have not been great for tomatoes, here's hoping this one will be better.

Annette

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I REALLY got a late start, but spent a pleasant afternoon planting seedlings in small pots. The seeds were soaked overnight in a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide and water and placed in coffee filters moistened with dilute nutrient solution. Once planted they will be grown under a grow light and covered with a dome. When they develop a few true leaves they will be slowly exposed to the greenhouse.

One problem is what to plant? For some strange reason people tend to give me seeds. I have seeds from Italy from the surveyor, I have seeds from New York from a member, I have more tomato seeds from Italy from the mailman, and, pepper seeds from Hungary from I don't remember who. Having a limited amount of space I try to plant a few each, as I am sure everyone is going to ask: "how did those seeds I gave you turn out?" ;)

start1.jpg

start2.jpg

Latest posts