Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Today I REPlanted my lettuce. I started a covered repurposed restaurant leftover container that has a clear lid, with tomato seeds which I THINK are heirlooms, but several years old. I also put 1/2 of the very old tomato seeds from my grandfather in a ziploc bag folded up in a wet paper towel. I will check it in a few weeks.
I had to replant my 72 cell spinach bc I left the top off and dried them out, too, but I put Swiss Chard Bright Lights seeds in 18/72 cells.
I ended up buying 12 3 inch tall Better Boy's, 12 red (bell) peppers and 4 strawberry plants on Friday. Since we were expecting and GOT snow this morning and severe cold through Tuesday, I put them on a heat mat under my grow lights. Fortunately, I had a waterproof tray to put underneath them and I have a spray bottle to keep them hydrated right next to the plants.
I am determined to learn how to grow under lights bc I will be starting brussels spouts there in late July.
Wish me luck!! :fl

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put cool weather crops along with daylily seedlings into my hoop house to start hardening off. I think I had mice living in it around my potted daylillies for the winter. I found a small nest. A few plants had a tunnel going down into the pot, and some potting mix was on the weed mat. Not too much damage but some of thee tubers were eaten. Most plants are thriving. It looks as if 1 artichoke plant was nibbled and all of my cilantro plants. I cannot believe anything would eat cilantro. I have never had damage to it in the garden. I guess that must be the most appealing they could find. I should put my cats in there for the nigh I guess. What do you think? What would like cilantro? And of course for some of you I know, "not me."

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to move my artichokes out of the hoop house-they were going to devour them. They are outdoors on a covered porch up on a bench. I have an animal trap but if they are mice I doubt they are big enough to spring it-I think I will still try.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put cool weather crops along with daylily seedlings into my hoop house to start hardening off. I think I had mice living in it around my potted daylillies for the winter. I found a small nest. A few plants had a tunnel going down into the pot, and some potting mix was on the weed mat. Not too much damage but some of thee tubers were eaten. Most plants are thriving. It looks as if 1 artichoke plant was nibbled and all of my cilantro plants. I cannot believe anything would eat cilantro. I have never had damage to it in the garden. I guess that must be the most appealing they could find. I should put my cats in there for the nigh I guess. What do you think? What would like cilantro? And of course for some of you I know, "not me."
With my rat problem, thankfully they never touched my cilantro. Thank goodness the rats seem to be under control. No damage to my garden yet. Fingers crossed.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been heavily watering my two 72 cell starter mini greenhouses, the one with lettuce/bright lights swiss chard and the other with spinach. I am leaving the plastic tops off during the day--they are on the south ledge so they get light most of the day and sun, when it is available--then put the tops back on at night. You really do get a lot of seeds in one package. I also had 1 yo broccoli seeds and I scattered those in one of those doggie bag plastic containers and I heavily wrapped that one in plastic wrap, but it is on the east ledge of my front porch, so only direct light in the mornings.