Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 4 tier put together greenhouse tower that equals 8 shelves. I'm going to put boards across the shelves to make 4 more shelves. Cat, I ordered some of those trays too! I ordered 2 heat mats. I found a deal on peat pellets. 2,000 for $102.99!!!!! I have started snow peas and some tomatoes. I ordered LED lights they will be here Wednesday. They I'll plant more seeds! I have 7 flats planted so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWMB93K/ref=pe_225750_269362800_em_1p_6_ti

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We will be starting seeds indoors as we usually do. Angie and I will start her annual flower seeds in the next week. We start our tomato,pepper, cabbage, broccoli and other vegetables on or about March 10th. It was one of the first tips we got from this site when we wanted to start from seed.For our climate it is perfect ,up pot once and they are big but not out of control by garden planting time usually.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some plastic (1 pint?) pots that the wife's flowers came in. I filled with store bought dirt and seeded zucchini, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, Jalapenos, banana peppers thyme. We have a bunch of 4" (1 pint) clay pots for some strange reason that are up next. Didn't think about starting the flowers. So, flowers and lettuce are next? We have so many old seeds from leftover attempts that I just need to plant everything to see what sprouts.

After this weekend, I'm hoping I can put them in the sun outside. Hoping. Right now they are in the dark garage.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plan on starting my toms, peppers, and eggplant on Feb 1.
These are started in the house and stay there until the greenhouse is warm enough for them.
Some will go into 5 gal pails on the back deck, and some in pails in the greenhouse.
Most will be transplanted into the garden.
Last yr I think I started seeds on Jan 1 but that was way too early.

THANX RICH

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you use bottom heat your plants will not be so leggy. There are some very inexpensive heat matts and they last forever.

I usually do use heat mats under my seedling trays...I have to do that in order to get any germination here, as this house stays pretty cool in the window areas. Couldn't use it with the onions, though...everything I read said not to use the heat mats for the onion seeds.

I definitely use them for tomatoes, peppers, etc. or I'd never see a seedling here. Everything still gets pretty leggy by the time they are big enough to set out.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a 4 tier put together greenhouse tower that equals 8 shelves. I'm going to put boards across the shelves to make 4 more shelves. Cat, I ordered some of those trays too! I ordered 2 heat mats. I found a deal on peat pellets. 2,000 for $102.99!!!!! I have started snow peas and some tomatoes. I ordered LED lights they will be here Wednesday. They I'll plant more seeds! I have 7 flats planted so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWMB93K/ref=pe_225750_269362800_em_1p_6_ti
Is that one of the collapsible greenhouses? I have a small collapsible (Germinette?) with shelves on both sides. Then added: extra insulation (because it is set up in my garage), added lights above all but the top shelves, and a thermostatically-controlled heater. Set at 80+ degrees, it encourages great germination of most vegetables... at which point they get moved either to a lighted growing shelf, or to a small solar greenhouse outdoors.
20170502_195658.jpg

Been starting all of my own transplants for years, ever since I fell in love with heirloom gardening. And because I am saving seed, I even start many of my pole beans from transplants - especially limas & yard longs. Some years, if we have a prolonged wet Spring (as we did in 2016 & 2017), those transplants are the difference between success & failure.

Obviously, @majorcatfish , it is too early for me to start planting yet... the photo above is from last year.;) Lake Winnebago looks pretty much like your photo now... basically an extra county that only appears a few months out of the year. Really looking forward to kicking off the garden season, but don't even begin planning until February, when the SSE Yearbook comes out, and I search for varieties on my want list.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed inventory is complete. There is quite a bit and I am not intending to make lots of work for myself by growing an over-supply of starts this year. It's something like direct-seeding in the garden, but worse. You know how if you have the ground, you can just till more and sow longer rows? Then, summer comes and there is all that work tending all those extra feet ...

Imagine that with flat after flat of seedlings and you are looking for a place in the sun. Those plants are a long way from seeds that I could have just shifted back into their packets.

There is timing. Someone once said that in life, timing is everything.

Steve

Latest posts