Who is starting seeds indoors this season?

We will be starting tomato's and peppers in February. Was going to set weekend of the 10th, but I think I'm going to take Majors advice and start towards the end of February. This will be my first year starting anything in trays from seed, but hope all goes well.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you use bottom heat your plants will not be so leggy. There are some very inexpensive heat matts and they last forever.
OMGOSH! I own one, not yet used and that is SO good to KNOW! :hugs I thought I would wait to use it for tomatoes and peppers, and I don't want to start Those until March. I also have my unheated, glassed in (3 sides, facing east) front porch that stays about 20 degrees warmer than the outside to move them all to before hardening off outside.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I ordered LED lights they will be here Wednesday. They I'll plant more seeds! I have 7 flats planted so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWMB93K/ref=pe_225750_269362800_em_1p_6_ti
Give me a report on the LED's. I brought one of my light units in to Menards so that I would buy the right size, and they didn't have any LED's, which was what I really wanted. So I had to settle for traditional grow lights. still, my red cabbages and the onions have gotten a little bigger. I have them about 1 foot away from the lights, but I figure to use bricks and scrap wood this weekend and bring the plants up to the lights.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMGOSH! I own one, not yet used and that is SO good to KNOW! :hugs I thought I would wait to use it for tomatoes and peppers, and I don't want to start Those until March. I also have my unheated, glassed in (3 sides, facing east) front porch that stays about 20 degrees warmer than the outside to move them all to before hardening off outside.
You should use it for what ever you are starting. As you move on to more starts move the first plants off of the heat mat. You can add another heat mat every year for a while to build up your collection if you do not mind the expense.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give me a report on the LED's. I brought one of my light units in to Menards so that I would buy the right size, and they didn't have any LED's, which was what I really wanted. So I had to settle for traditional grow lights. still, my red cabbages and the onions have gotten a little bigger. I have them about 1 foot away from the lights, but I figure to use bricks and scrap wood this weekend and bring the plants up to the lights.
I don't put my plants any closer than a foot from my lights. I saw a program comparing bulbs. They said the cheap florescent bulbs were not much less effective than the expensive bulbs.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually do use heat mats under my seedling trays...I have to do that in order to get any germination here, as this house stays pretty cool in the window areas. Couldn't use it with the onions, though...everything I read said not to use the heat mats for the onion seeds.

I definitely use them for tomatoes, peppers, etc. or I'd never see a seedling here. Everything still gets pretty leggy by the time they are big enough to set out.
I don't use them for onions either.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We will be starting tomato's and peppers in February. Was going to set weekend of the 10th, but I think I'm going to take Majors advice and start towards the end of February. This will be my first year starting anything in trays from seed, but hope all goes well.
It is hard for things not to do well. Over plant seeds and then thin right away. Do not use cheap seed starting formula. There is a lot of cheap junk out their. If something goes wrong don't give up. Likely soil would be the culprit. All seeds have different requirements and seed companies don't tell you the secrets. Some flowers nee to be on top of the soil. Google anything that you thin may bee exotic to start.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will post once home

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
CAT_2665.jpg

Latest posts