why am I so afraid?

sunstar

Leafing Out
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Points
22
Location
Z 5
Another great way to experience your first round of canning is :
Find a canning buddy, someone who is experienced with canning and pressure canning.
True things can still go a bit wrong lol but think of all the fun and learning that will go on in the very first session.

Canning with a buddy builds great friendships.
 

ducks4you

Garden Master
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
11,283
Reaction score
14,155
Points
417
Location
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
lesa said:
I know you will love doing canning. ...When you hear those lids popping, you will know you are the greatest canner ever!!!
Isn't it fun when you're watching TV, and the 2nd (or last) batch is still cooking and you hear you earlier lids popping?!?!

It's one of those simple pleasures that just makes you feel good.
 

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Points
69
Location
Tacoma, Wa
ducks4you said:
lesa said:
I know you will love doing canning. ...When you hear those lids popping, you will know you are the greatest canner ever!!!
Isn't it fun when you're watching TV, and the 2nd (or last) batch is still cooking and you hear you earlier lids popping?!?!

It's one of those simple pleasures that just makes you feel good.
*AMEN* to that. It's one of those sounds that you can recognize with your eyes closed. To hear it, you know you've acheived a tremendous feat and great satisfaction to boot.
 

lesa

Garden Master
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
6,645
Reaction score
569
Points
337
Location
ZONE 4 UPSTATE NY
I am happy to know that I am not the only person thrilled to hear that sound!!!
 

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Points
69
Location
Tacoma, Wa
I think all canning junkies are addicted to the sound.
Not only that but the whole process is a gift that keeps on giving.
First you aquire the food stuff, whether you grow it yourself or even purchase it. Everything looks at you with a smile saying "now whatcha gonna do with me?" And you're thinking, "all that hard work I need to do, what was I thinking"
Next you prepare it, wash, peel, cut, mix and measure and heat. Not to mention preparing the jars, lids, rings and canner. Then you fill your jars that fill your canner. Okay so now the hard work is about over and all the while the food is still smiling at you but saying "almost there". Then you take the jars out of the canner to rest and cool and they soon start popping their thank you's. You then label them and put them in the pantry and as you look them over again they smile and say "ya did it! just wait till ya taste me".
Finally, during the dead of winter, you go to the pantry for your meal fixins and you smile at the jar(s) and say to them "now it's your turn to work for me". Then you enjoy the fruits of your labors and know in your heart you've provided yourself and family with some of the best stuff around. Good tasting and healthy and you know exactly what is in that jar because you put it there. No guessing, wondering or doubt about the quality when the stores issue recalls because of tainted food you know yours is good.

Or am I the only schmuck that does this? Maybe I need medication after all. :barnie
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
6
old fashioned said:
I think all canning junkies are addicted to the sound.
Not only that but the whole process is a gift that keeps on giving.
First you aquire the food stuff, whether you grow it yourself or even purchase it. Everything looks at you with a smile saying "now whatcha gonna do with me?" And you're thinking, "all that hard work I need to do, what was I thinking"
Next you prepare it, wash, peel, cut, mix and measure and heat. Not to mention preparing the jars, lids, rings and canner. Then you fill your jars that fill your canner. Okay so now the hard work is about over and all the while the food is still smiling at you but saying "almost there". Then you take the jars out of the canner to rest and cool and they soon start popping their thank you's. You then label them and put them in the pantry and as you look them over again they smile and say "ya did it! just wait till ya taste me".
Finally, during the dead of winter, you go to the pantry for your meal fixins and you smile at the jar(s) and say to them "now it's your turn to work for me". Then you enjoy the fruits of your labors and know in your heart you've provided yourself and family with some of the best stuff around. Good tasting and healthy and you know exactly what is in that jar because you put it there. No guessing, wondering or doubt about the quality when the stores issue recalls because of tainted food you know yours is good.

Or am I the only schmuck that does this? Maybe I need medication after all. :barnie
If you need medication then I do too. :thumbsup
 

digitS'

Garden Master
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
25,987
Reaction score
29,679
Points
457
Location
border, ID/WA(!)
I learned a little about canning and a lot about gardening from my Grandma Goldie.
Welcome to TEG :frow!

Everyone outside the family knew my mother's mother as Mrs. Gold or as Goldie. She's been gone for over 50 years, now. I still miss her.

She was a little lady, only 5 feet tall - standing on a piece of paper, the story goes. She had 9 children and they knew her as Mom. Of course, I knew her as my Grandma Goldie :).

Steve
 

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
1,143
Points
257
Location
MN. Zone 4/5
mener6896 said:
I bought all of the equipment for a water bath canning job, thought I would tackle this before pressure canning. My issue was I didn't get enough of my own crop to preserve (1st year for garden) when I bought a bushel of green beans at the farmers market, I decided to blanch and freeze them, I chickened out of canning.

Why am I so afraid? I have the blue book of canning, and still can't get up the courage to do it! Afraid of failure I guess :/
What is something that is fool proof for my first canning experience? Is a pressure canner worth the money?

Any tips for a newbie are greatly appreciated!!
We use a pressure canner for soups and sauces, but prefer the green beans in the freezer. I like the taste and texture better than canned beans.
We also can tomatoes, salsa, beets, pickles, apples, pears, lots of jams... great gifts and food for sharing ... :)

Study the blue book... and you've got some great tips here on where to begin. Jump on in... you'll be addicted in no time!
It's exciting to see the revival of interest in home canning continue to grow! :frow
 
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
6
digitS' said:
I learned a little about canning and a lot about gardening from my Grandma Goldie.
Welcome to TEG :frow!

Everyone outside the family knew my mother's mother as Mrs. Gold or as Goldie. She's been gone for over 50 years, now. I still miss her.

She was a little lady, only 5 feet tall - standing on a piece of paper, the story goes. She had 9 children and they knew her as Mom. Of course, I knew her as my Grandma Goldie :).

Steve
Thanks for the welcome. I feel very honored to have reminded you of your Grandam Goldie. My grandkids just call me GG. :)
 

digitS'

Garden Master
Joined
Dec 13, 2007
Messages
25,987
Reaction score
29,679
Points
457
Location
border, ID/WA(!)
I see you came here from BackyardChickens, GG. Here is my BYC page (click here).

The 1st picture shows my flock of chickens when I was between 6 and 8 years-old. The Golden Sebright bantam hen that is closest to me in that picture was given to me by my Grandma Goldie when I was 3 or 4 years-old.

I bet you can't guess . . . just bet you can't . . . what it was I called that Golden Sebright bantam hen. And no, it wasn't "Grandma" - altho' she lived for 7 years and those other little chickens in the photograph are her babies.

:) Steve

I'll stop here before Mener6896 loses her temper with me. I can't think of any possible way that this is canning related. Altho . . . I could tell some tales of courage about that little hen ;).
 

Latest posts

Top