why am I so afraid?

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Grandma Goldie said:
old fashioned said:
I think all canning junkies are addicted to the sound.
Not only that but the whole process is a gift that keeps on giving.
First you aquire the food stuff, whether you grow it yourself or even purchase it. Everything looks at you with a smile saying "now whatcha gonna do with me?" And you're thinking, "all that hard work I need to do, what was I thinking"
Next you prepare it, wash, peel, cut, mix and measure and heat. Not to mention preparing the jars, lids, rings and canner. Then you fill your jars that fill your canner. Okay so now the hard work is about over and all the while the food is still smiling at you but saying "almost there". Then you take the jars out of the canner to rest and cool and they soon start popping their thank you's. You then label them and put them in the pantry and as you look them over again they smile and say "ya did it! just wait till ya taste me".
Finally, during the dead of winter, you go to the pantry for your meal fixins and you smile at the jar(s) and say to them "now it's your turn to work for me". Then you enjoy the fruits of your labors and know in your heart you've provided yourself and family with some of the best stuff around. Good tasting and healthy and you know exactly what is in that jar because you put it there. No guessing, wondering or doubt about the quality when the stores issue recalls because of tainted food you know yours is good.

Or am I the only schmuck that does this? Maybe I need medication after all. :barnie
If you need medication then I do too. :thumbsup
Doesn't it just bring a content quiet joy to your soul? :sigh:
The whole canning thing is addicting. As the number of empty jars grow, so does that needful feeling until ya just have to have another canning fix :p

dandelion

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi! I tried my hand at canning for the first time this year too. I made blueberry jam. It made a horrible mess and it seemed like everything went wrong, but it still ended up working! So go for it! It was a lot of fun and I'm definitely going to try more. And my jam is good :D

Latest posts