why am I so afraid?

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought all of the equipment for a water bath canning job, thought I would tackle this before pressure canning. My issue was I didn't get enough of my own crop to preserve (1st year for garden) when I bought a bushel of green beans at the farmers market, I decided to blanch and freeze them, I chickened out of canning.

Why am I so afraid? I have the blue book of canning, and still can't get up the courage to do it! Afraid of failure I guess :/
What is something that is fool proof for my first canning experience? Is a pressure canner worth the money?

Any tips for a newbie are greatly appreciated!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not even much of a cook but you should get a response from some fine cooks in a little while.

I just returned a grilling book to the library (Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned, by Elizabeth Karmel - I recommend it for sauces and marinades :).). A few recipes were copied before it went in the drop box. At the last minute, I was looking at the glazes and remembering the ONLY experience that I have completely in charge of the canning process.

I've made apple and pear butter and apricot preserves. I can't remember anything else that I have put under a canning lid but, at the moment, the freezer is nearly completely full of veggies from the garden. I don't see much wrong with that method and it certainly seems like a safe route with green beans.

I've not only made the fruit preserves once but a good number of times (for somebody who really isn't very talented in the kitchen ;)). Once the fruit begins to caramelize, there isn't ANYTHING that could still be alive in that pot.

My Kerr Home Canning Book (copyright, 1969) says to pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot. Hot, sticky fruit into a clean, clean jar . . . . Except for splattering - it couldn't be easier or safer canning.

Okay, someone who knows about open kettle canning should be along directly :). I may be asked to make my pear glaze for Christmas dinner again this year. It may have to be made again by gosh & by golly because I couldn't find a bona fide recipe in that book :rolleyes:.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:hugs :hugs Take Courage, mener6896! :hugs :hugs
HONESTLY, Everything we like to do--our gardening, our fixing up, our livestock--comes under criticism by others who DON'T do it. You WILL KNOW if your cannned spoiled, because you already know what spoilage looks like and smell like from foodstuffs in your refridgerator.
Start canning the high acid stuff first: tomatoes, citrus jellies, fruits--those are the easy things. Then, you can advance to other stuff. I made mistakes, like I tried to can whole, small, sweet peppers. They were sealed, but I did it wrong. In about 3 weeks my lids were swelling as the peppers rotted! It was MORE than obvious, so I threw them out and cleaned my jars. Stuff that goes bad just doesn't taste quite right, and it DEFINITELY doesn't smell right--Keep trying! Don't give up on this.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pressure canning is a bit more particular than water bath canning in regards to your personal safety, as well as food safety. That's why you must always follow the directions to the T. If you have a modern copy of ball's blue book, it should cover everything you need to know about both.

It is a good idea to conquer water bath canning first, then build upon those precepts with the differences in pressure canning. Some things can only be pressure canned (also outlined in the book) in order to reach a high enough temperature to kill any bacteria.

For water bath canning, probably the easiest thing to start with, imo, is pickles. Then tomatoes and tomato products (ketchup, salsa, pasta sauce). Jams and jellies are pretty easy and lots of fun (and make good Christmas presents too).

Don't be afraid though! There is really not much to water bath canning, just follow the directions precisely (don't go changing any recipes or ingredients--they are tested and safe as written--although experienced canners can often get away with some alterations).

Now for pressure canning, you must make sure your equipment is in proper working order, or else you put yourself in danger of getting hurt if the pot blows up (not to mention improperly canned food resulting in food poisoning). Once again, if you follow the directions precisely.... Also, take your pressure canner down to your county extension office and have them test your gauge for accuracy and they can take a look at everything and make sure it's ok. Your gaskets need to be supple and in good shape, for instance.

There is a lot you can do with water bath canning, so start there and get comfortable with that, then move on to pressure canning. If you grow a big garden or just like to purchase large amounts of seasonal produce, you will find it worth the while to put up your own fresh and healthy food.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mener6896 said:
I bought all of the equipment for a water bath canning job, thought I would tackle this before pressure canning. My issue was I didn't get enough of my own crop to preserve (1st year for garden) when I bought a bushel of green beans at the farmers market, I decided to blanch and freeze them, I chickened out of canning
Well, you don't wanna can green beans in just a waterbath *anyhow* (unless you are pickling them).

The easiest thing I can recommend, except it isn't really the right season unless perhaps you live in a much different part of the world :p, is apricot jam. You pit them, cut into chunks, cook 'em up real good with an appropriate amount of sugar, ladle into jars and waterbath. They have enough pectin to jell on their own and always come out really tasty.

Otherwise, I would suggest either pickled beets (if you like them), or any sort of jelly/jam recipe made by following the recipe insert on boxed pectin (certo, whatever). Not the low-sugar stuff, the regular pectin crystals. Tasty, pretty foolproof, and unlikely to spoil even if you process poorly ;)

Applesauce is another good first project, if your tastes run more in that direction. Just follow recipe directions (Ball Blue Book, etc) and you will be *fine*.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Personally, the most difficult part of canning is all the prep work and I don't even use a canner for jam or pickles, but that's just me.
Berry jam would be the easiest to start with. Read the directions included in pectin box (surejel or mcp) before you do anything else, have everything ready, in a small saucepan bring some water to a boil, turn down the heat to low and put in your flat lids (one up, one down so it's easier to get them out) and let them sit for atleast 10-15 min to soften-do not turn these off. Meanwhile clean berries, mash and measure into large pan, add pectin, boil for (1 min?) recommended time, add sugar and boil again for (4 min?) recommended time, ladel into hot clean jars, wipe rims, put on flat lid, tightly screw on band then set jar upside down on towel. After 10-15 minutes, turn jars right side up. Lids should pop within a few minutes. To be sure, press your finger along lid. This will usually seal any that haven't yet. If any pop back up they are not sealed and should be used right away or stored in the fridge. I usually don't have any problems and have never lost any doing it this way-just have to work fast.
If you'll try this method first, it will give you the confidence to try other fruits, relishes or pickles using your water bath. Get comfortable with the water bath canner for these high acid foods first before investing in a pressure canner. By this time next year I'm sure you'll be hooked-a canning junkie. :D
If you still have doubts, find someone who is an experienced canner to buddy up with. Best of luck to you.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know you will love doing canning. I was afraid to try it for years and then, this year I started and was mad I waited so long!!! The first thing I canned was applesauce. This is fail safe- and delicious! When you hear those lids popping, you will know you are the greatest canner ever!!! Next, I did blackberry jam. It came out so wonderful, I am giving it as gifts...Then, summer came and I canned tomatoes, dilly beans, cucumber relish, beet relish, and a few other things, I can't remember! It is easier if you have someone to help the first few times ( I admit a few tears when canning the jam, for the first time...) Just try it- I feel like a chipmunk storing food for winter when I can!!! Enjoy!

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did orange marmalade in little half-pint jars for my first thing to learn by. It was fun, yummy, and a good learning experience. Thus, i recommend some kind of jelly.

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks so much for everyone's advice!! I actually may attempt something tomorrow! :D
Since it really isn't tomato season, I may try applesauce. There's a great orchard down the road and I'm sure to get some yummy apples!

I'll let you know how it goes. :fl

Latest posts