Why are people so messed up?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Someone dumped a couple of very sad looking pit bulls on our street (one looks like she just had pups.) Do people think that, just because this is the country, their unwanted dogs will be able to survive out here on their own? What do they think the dogs are going to eat, my chickens? I have enough problems with my own dog eating chickens! We were out working in the garden and they came onto our back porch and started fighting over our dog food. We ran them off, but they will, almost certainly, be back. That means my kids won't be able to play outside unless we can be out to supervise (armed with the shotgun.) I don't have time for this right now. Grrr...
:he

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
is there any way to call animal control to come take them away?

pit bulls are not always the mean, nasty and vicious breed that it seems they've been made to look like. they were actually considered 'nanny' dogs about 100 years ago. the aggressive ones should never have been bred or allowed to. they can be very strong and rambunctious if not trained well, but they are usually willing to please their owner. if you give them firm commands and they understand them they should listen to you.

i would suggest caution though since they are not your dogs. also, be careful if they are trying to hang around with your dogs. if these dogs haven't been kept in good conditions or checked by a vet by whoever had them they could be carrying any type of mange, parvo (which is usually fatal), distemper or any other kind of nasty disease or virus that is easily transmittable.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do not know why some people just dump animals out in the country! We live in a town of about 300 people and dump dogs show up here all the time. Some folks think it is better to dump their problem animals on others rather than deal with it. It is quite irritating! :somad :somad. :he

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We're outside city limits, so animal control can't come here. They may not be aggressive, but they are persistent, my hubby has had to run them off 3 times in the last hour, they are starving. I know that pits can be very good dogs, but I would never trust them with my kids. I feel bad for the poor things, but my livestock comes before stray dogs.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My two experiences with dumped dogs last summer.

Two large (about 100 pounds each) not neutered male dogs were dumped in the country for the good life. They got hungry and killed 8 of my chickens. Two of those chickens were essential to continuing my breeding plans. I shot both of the dogs. I did not see any other option. When my wife saw me getting the gun, she knew what was happening and started crying. I wasn't happy about it either but you do what you have to do. I can still see one of those dogs clear grey eyes. A beautiful animal.

A dog was dropped off out here, maybe 35 to 40 pounds and very friendly. It was no problem to get it in a crate. I took it to the animal shelter where there is no charge to bring a dog as long as you are a county resident.

I suggest you be as proactive as you can, whichever way you decide to go. I won't criticize you either way.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
TMC, I think you are right in the title of your thread: people who do this are "messed up."

Most everyone wants to be protected from harm, shown attention, and be cared for. Dogs are seen as being capable of doing that. But, it is a two-way street - a dog needs to be protected and cared for, also. They require a lot of attention. Messed up people have a hard time with all that.

They turn from one thing to another. Many times, they are people who are messed up on 1 drug or another, probably many. They often want out of whatever messed up situation they are in and they are willing to dump whatever they see as holding them back.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, these messed up people have driven off into the sunset- and not looked back. And you are left with a terrible situation. I often wonder what it must feel like to be completely irresponsible! I would say you have two choices, either feed them and try to get them into a crate (or the car) and take them to the shelter- or shoot them. Both acts which you should not have to be any part of... Good luck and keep your chickens under lock and key!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
People have dumped their dogs several times where I live. When I first moved out here we didn't have animal control so I picked them up and either found homes for them or delivered them to animal control myself - I know that's not an option for some people. Mama Chicken - please have your husband shoot them, it is far better to kill them clean than let them suffer and starve to death. Some people are just so stupid and cruel it amazes me.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you can safely get them in crates... there are usually rescue groups that will take them. I would suggest trying to get ahold of one of the pit rescues in your area before you shoot them or take them to the pound. Poor things. People like that make me SO angry!! :somad :somad

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. We too live in an area that some feel is the ideal place to drop their unwanted pets. Thankfully in the last few years the incident of that has fell off. At it's peak we were getting 7-8 a year. Last year only 1. :(

Latest posts