Why are we here?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are boards out there for every persuasion. I mean every persuasion...

So what is the motivation for joining a gardening forum?

I'm a simple person, so I would think that people would join sites like TEG because they have an interest, or even a passion for gardening. Or maybe they just need a question answered. Naturally people like to spend time with people with whom they have something in common, and have conversations about that common interest.

That's what brought me here. I stayed because I like the folks who contribute, and I have learned a lot, and laughed a lot, and made a few friends I hope. It's about gardening I thought.

Do you suppose some people join initially for the actual gardening part then veer off and try to bully people into thinking like them
on subjects that are controversial, inflammatory, and have nothing to do with what's actually growing out their very own, personal,
back ( or front!) door?

I don't know, I just wondered.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I joined to lean about gardening and talk to people that had the same interest as I do.

I think most of the people that join this site are coming here for gardening topics, but when the topic does veer off track on a discussion that they already have firm beliefs on, and another poster has a different point of view, then it can get a little dicey. I think respecting other peoples point of view is key.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You will have different points of view on any site. Sometimes it get very heated, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just keep mine to my self.
But I joined because I love my flowers and the home grown food. This is the first year I have actually helped Monty in the garden as far as weeding/ tending it. Its a lot of work, but well worth it.

A bonus for me is
1 I get to torment Monty on here ( and get some back up) ;)
2. I have made some friends ( don't have many)
3 great advice about my chickens/ hens :D

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I joined cause i started greenhouse gardening, and didnt have much (any) idea about growing things in a greenhouse! I stick around cause its fun and people are so friendly. :cool:

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This could get long so bear with me

I originally joined BYC to learn about chickens. Dew and I had discussed getting them, but for some reason, still unknown to me, I got a wild hair and just went and bought them one night40 of them in just a couple of days. I didnt have a clue. I didnt have a brooder, coop or run. But I had 40 chickens.

While reading on BYC I noticed a link to TEG. Gardening is a lifestyle for me. It always has been, and always will be, so naturally I checked it out. I wasnt really looking for advice or information, but more just seeing what people were talking about.

I used to own and run a gardening site and forum called The Garden Place. It was mostly close friends and family, and I liked it that way. As will often happen, life and work got in the way of keeping the site up, so I closed it down.

I missed the interaction with other gardeners and the camaraderie that goes with talking with others who share a common interest or, shall I say, passion for something. TEG is a smallish site with a very close-knit group of individuals who possess an astounding amount of knowledge for the number of contributing members. It really is an anomaly. Rarely do you find so many people who know so much in such a small group.

That being said, I also enjoy the way everyone seems to get along. Note that I said seems. There are those who relish the opportunity to throw a wrench in the works and throw a stiff challenge to ideas or thoughts that rub their fur the wrong way. Thats fine with me. Its what I served ten years in the Navy for; its what my grandfather fought for, and what my uncle died for. But in the end, all is better, things go on, and all, if not forgiven, is at least left in the past. Thats very rare for an internet community. Very rare indeed.

I would like to think I have made some friends here. I havent been cooped up yet, so thats a plus. I do consider most of you my friends, and would be happy to enjoy a BBQ and cold beer with you.

So, why am I here? I didnt really come for knowledge or advice (as I said earlier), although I have learned a good bit here. I consider myself a pretty good gardener. I guess in the end, I came here to share what I know. Sounds conceited doesnt it? Its really not. Look inside yourself, if you are an experienced gardener. Even if you are just starting out and learning the ropes, tell me you wouldnt share everything you know with a stranger that walked up to you in your garden. Its just the way the gardeners heart is.

Have I rambled enough? Dew would say yes.

Thats why Im here.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I came because I know there is always much more i can learn, and thanks to you guys, I am learning a lot. I stay because I like the people here. :love

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm here because, like monty, I jumped over from byc. I got my first chickens a year ago. it had been a lifelong dream of mine. it went pretty well & it moved me more toward the ideas of self sufficiency. I've been landscaping for many years, but never vegetable gardening. it always seemed boring to me. my dad could never understand why I put so much energy into landscaping when you couldn't eat it.
now, I see how miraculous growing food is. being able to come to this site and visit with people who know so much about growing food & preserving food while having the most wonderful senses of humor has been marvelous.

I still go to byc some, and I go to byh some, but it's not as good & the people are not as close. I tend to be a loner and finding people interested in what interests me is great. that's why i'm here.
I can get on my soapbox, but i'm working on not being so ready to jump up there. I certainly don't go looking for a fight.
this forum has a unique and wonderful group of people and i'm glad to be a part of it.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm here because on Thanksgiving night 1954 after my parents celebrated, they uh...

...or is it that no matter where I am I'm always right here and it's always right now?

'sides, I like being here. I found teg while looking for a way to get gaspe flint corn, and thistle's posts showed up on google search.

I decided I like it here even more than facebook.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how some people have blogs?

I kept a written gardening journal in a folder for about 4 years. I still refer back to it at times - this was before I had a computer but it would probably be lost in a floppy disc if I'd started off digitally. Those pages of the journal have been very important to my gardening, however. It takes quite a bit to get scheduling down and a full 12 months is required before an adjustment can be tried.

I don't have a blog or a journal these days. It is pretty much, all right here. I forget sometimes and I'm surprised sometimes what I was doing or thinking a few years ago. It is still here, however, and all I have to do is remember one little part of it, do a TEG search, and find it again.

No way, am I disciplined enuf to organize what I've said here. Still, the search is available to me at any time. Learning something new is almost a daily experience. Sometimes, I'm really working hard to come up with an answer to a question. More often, one of you suggest something that I'd never even considered before
shock.gif
!

Gardening? I used to have a copy of Shumway's catalog beside my bed when I was a teenager. That interest in growing things has never left me. It is wonderful to be able to communicate with people who might not consider all that somehow bizarre ;).

Steve :frow