Why are you where you are?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The North just feels like home. I've lived 6 hours south of here, and 6 hours north as well. Out of province in Quebec too. I enjoyed all the time I spent in other regions, but this is where I fit. I love that I can drive to any neighbouring sleepy little village or town, and not see another soul. The space, the forests, the lakes. Coming from a family with long, deep roots here in trapping, lumber & logging, fur trade and prospecting there is sense of family history and identity tied to this area. It's part of who I am I think.

Having said all that, I'd move to Texas or Tennessee in a heartbeat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The North just feels like home. I've lived 6 hours south of here, and 6 hours north as well. Out of province in Quebec too. I enjoyed all the time I spent in other regions, but this is where I fit. I love that I can drive to any neighbouring sleepy little village or town, and not see another soul. The space, the forests, the lakes. Coming from a family with long, deep roots here in trapping, lumber & logging, fur trade and prospecting there is sense of family history and identity tied to this area. It's part of who I am I think.

Having said all that, I'd move to Texas or Tennessee in a heartbeat.
TEXAS!??? Nobody lives there voluntarily! Canada to Texas-talk about extremes....

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Family, most of my family including my parents, grandparents, an aunt and a cousin have had major health issues over the years; organ failures, major surgery, cancer... Which has led to me being a caregiver or at least helping with caregiving since middle school. Currently I still live with my parents to help out since between the two of them they’ve been hospitalized 6 times in 4 years. My dad has been doing better but he was diagnosed with covid on Monday so now we are dealing with that.

That said I don’t think I would go far given the opportunity as I love the community and the landscape out here. Cost of living is cheap. The climate is good for gardening. My only complaints would probably be a few crazy neighbors and the humidity.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
TEXAS!??? Nobody lives there voluntarily! Canada to Texas-talk about extremes....
I can see why it looks like that, but in a some ways it isn't so different. Much of the settler inspired culture even I grew up with has utterly and completely evaporated. Neighbourliness, hard work ethos, connection with the land for one's survival, independence and skills of self reliance. Texas still seems to hold dear many of those values which once permeated the culture of the northern hinterland, values that are now abandoned, or even actively discouraged, in this country on the whole.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see why it looks like that, but in a some ways it isn't so different. Much of the settler inspired culture even I grew up with has utterly and completely evaporated. Neighbourliness, hard work ethos, connection with the land for one's survival, independence and skills of self reliance. Texas still seems to hold dear many of those values which once permeated the culture of the northern hinterland, values that are now abandoned, or even actively discouraged, in this country on the whole.
Once again, I forgot my audience...... it was meant as funny sarcasm. There is nothing wrong with Texas.