Why did the seeds sprout faster and bigger on the compost pile?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I accidentally split a couple of cuke seeds on the compost pile. I am not that in to cukes so I didn't think much but after 4 days wow. They not only have sprouted but they are huge. The other things I sprout in the actual garden are not nearly that big and are barely poking through!!!
I thought I could use it and make my eggplants sprout :D . So I put my little seeding containers on the pile. Do you think it should work? I could always haphazardly throw the seeds like I did with the cukes.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's compost!!! They want it in their soil, or as soil.... those little buggers do thrive off of it!!!

I know there are going to be plenty of accidental sprouts in mine eventaully. I will probably yank them or try a transplant. Just think of them as cukes on steriods!!!! :gig

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
THey love the dark rich black gold whichis why every year I get at least one accidental growing out of our compost pile...be sure to keep it watered and they will produce better than anything you plant...

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think the main reason they grow there is because we don't really WANT them there! If we TRY to make them grow on the compost they will be dead in 2 days! LOL

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Volunteers always seem to thrive in the compost pile don't they? I "rescued" 3 what I think are nectarines last spring that had come up in the heap. I don't know whether or not they will ever amount to anything, but I potted them up in 1 gallon containers and they have survived and thrived so far. It's always interesting to me to see what will come up all on it's own. Sometimes the less you do, the more you get out of it.:lol:

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bid said:
Volunteers always seem to thrive in the compost pile don't they? I "rescued" 3 what I think are nectarines last spring that had come up in the heap. I don't know whether or not they will ever amount to anything, but I potted them up in 1 gallon containers and they have survived and thrived so far. It's always interesting to me to see what will come up all on it's own. Sometimes the less you do, the more you get out of it.:lol:
amen to that

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heat helps. The heat from the bottom makes things sprout and grow super-fast.

That's why I spent a small fortune this year on extra seedling heat mats. And why my electric bills are disgusting.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Heat helps. The heat from the bottom makes things sprout and grow super-fast.

That's why I spent a small fortune this year on extra seedling heat mats. And why my electric bills are disgusting.
Rosiland
how disgusting is your electric bill???I just bought my first heat mat but havent started seed yet...Our electric bill includes the cost of Decembers ice storm they have socked us with a service bill on top of usage...$$$ twice the usage

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes! All those service charges ran our Dec. bill up to double the cost. I ran a bunch of space heaters, too, to keep the plumbing from freezing, and it was horrible. DH about had a fit. I turned the space heaters way down, but that only cut the bill down by about 30% for Jan. Dec. bill was $500--and that's with every single light bulb in the house changed to compact fluorescent, the water heater insulated, and low-wattage task lighting.

I can't win. Last year oil was expensive, so I put in a woodstove. Now electricity is expensive. What am I supposed to install now, oil lamps?!?