Why Greenhouse Tomatoes Have No Taste

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may go back to growing a plant or 2 in my greenhouse. They were not too tasty and got buggy when I grew them indoors. But enjoyment depends how much you are longing for fresh grown.I found that I could lightly stir fry them to bring out a little more flavor. Thanks for sharing NYB. I wonder how hard it is to find those bulbs?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering too but with some caution, @catjac1975 . I wonder how much variety difference would change things ... I didn't look at the actual study linked but imagine that it was all one variety grown in different conditions and rated.

Okay, I also wonder if environmental stress enhances flavor to a point ... damage to the plant and fruit can't help.

UV light tans and/or burns us. The researchers came up with nothing new regarding the filtering of UV by glass. Ask greenhouse workers in the spring how they can be in the sunlight for 8+ hours every workday and still look like they crawled out from under a rock ...

Here's another wonder! UV lights in the commercial greenhouse? Ya know, it was nice to be out there in a constant 65° but without any wind, rain or snow - day after day. I wonder how safe UV lights would be for the workers.

I looked for a beach photo of a tomato on a tanning bed but couldn't find it ;). Maybe @canesisters has a shot.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering too but with some caution, @catjac1975 . I wonder how much variety difference would change things ... I didn't look at the actual study linked but imagine that it was all one variety grown in different conditions and rated.

Okay, I also wonder if environmental stress enhances flavor to a point ... damage to the plant and fruit can't help.

UV light tans and/or burns us. The researchers came up with nothing new regarding the filtering of UV by glass. Ask greenhouse workers in the spring how they can be in the sunlight for 8+ hours every workday and still look like they crawled out from under a rock ...

Here's another wonder! UV lights in the commercial greenhouse? Ya know, it was nice to be out there in a constant 65° but without any wind, rain or snow - day after day. I wonder how safe UV lights would be for the workers.

I looked for a beach photo of a tomato on a tanning bed but couldn't find it ;). Maybe @canesisters has a shot.

Steve
I grew tomatoes recommended for the greenhouse which produced more fruit. However it is a lot go work and time for a few tomatoes. Depends on how crazy you are. And white fly is what made me stop.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe variety has something to do with it as well. Commercial tomatoes are bland, tasteless, red orbs of low expectations on the taste buds. Blech. Then they are picked green to be gassed into ripening. More Blech. Grow them in a greenhouse and you get more Blech and more Blech. :sick

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
... @digitS' , no tomatos, just a corn and potato :oops:

cornbeach.jpg

potatobeach.jpg

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The study link wouldn't work for me, I get a server is too busy message.
I want to know what cultivars they tested because I've got a feeling there is some misinformation to be had.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So does plastic block UV light? Because the hoop house tomatoes are delicious, although they do get direct sun from the east and west.

In Madison, not too far from here, they grow tomatoes all winter. It seems like that would not be practical in Maine, but their business is expanding. The green houses are huge, -5 acres, I think. The big tomatoes are just okay, but the cocktail tomatoes are delicious and I enjoy them all winter. Not sure if they add UV light.

I hear the workers ride their bikes around indoors between greenhouses, because the place is so massive.
http://www.backyardfarms.com/