Why Potatoes Go Bad

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think problems often begin with nematodes.

They are almost microscopic, I read that they are 1mm long. I guess, they are either gone or immobile by harvest and storage. I can't see them! The problem shows up in their near-microscopic holes in the tubers and the decay that begins there.

Here's how you may have noticed them: you run your peeler over the spud and there are tiny lines or just dots. Take 1 or 2 more strokes with the peeler and they are gone. Damage is sometimes just considered cosmetic.

There are a number of nematode species - some are beneficial! I used to think that rocky soil was especially inviting to high population numbers but it is high soil organic levels that apparently keeps them especially happy. So ... build up the organic material level in your garden soil, make a happy home for more nematodes :mad:.

Are they only after the spuds? "Columbia root knot nematode is found in sandy and organic soils, and infests more than 3,000 different plants." So says the San Francisco Chronicle. I understand that even trees and shrubs are hosts. How possibly can we keep them out?!

There are nematode resistant varieties of tomatoes and some other things. UCDavis says that no such thing exists in the potato world. Potatogarden.com claims "Reba is resistant to the golden nematode." I'm afraid those aren't the ones around here but, who knows! I can't see 'em!

The University of Florida did some rotation with marigolds. UCDavis talks about more conventional crop rotation and soil fumigation. I don't think any of these would be a very good choice - not the way they are described. If you come across the words "nematode resistant" describing any potato variety, let me know!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So that's what makes those little dots, huh? Some of my potatoes were particularly ugly this year. :( I think I grow too many to make crop rotation particularly effective, and I don't want to not grow them.
I guess finding varieties that get along with my soil and what's in it could be my best choice.

I wonder how the predatory nematodes operate?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
why potatoes go bad..... because their parents did not care so they turned out to be a bad seed.
squirrel.....
we also had some ugly spuds this year @thistlebloom will agree with you need to find a type happy in my soil as well, since soil fumigation out of reach of many home gardeners, and planting a whole garden full of marigolds would look fabulous < well according to dw at least > just not productive in my eye yet.
so a good crop rotation seems the best plan, i for one will be doing a better job from now on with rotation.
next season going to give the burbank russet a try, nothing wild or prone to diseases..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The University of Florida says grow marigolds every year prior to the planting of the spuds.

I don't know how that would work above a certain degree of latitude ...

(Since @marshallsmyth has yet to have a frost ... I'll call it the Marshall Line ... :))

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
More like the "Marshall Circular Basin" Digit. The lake moderates the low temperatures, especially this part of the strand, northwest shore, clear-lake across the east and southeast, orchid hill rising to the west of me so this is an east facing slope. I guess it'd be called a Lake Basin Northwest Strand Microclimate.

It has frosted all around here, but not at some of the pocket areas

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raining here, puppies and kittens :).

@marshallsmyth , this is off topic but ...

What do you suppose your line of latitude is?

You are such an open fellow, with name and all. The lake isn't huge but I'm wondering if it's right about 39°43′20″ North ...

:) Steve
a pm answer or query would be fine :)

Latest posts