Why Potatoes Go Bad

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The University of Florida says grow marigolds every year prior to the planting of the spuds.

I don't know how that would work above a certain degree of latitude ...

(Since @marshallsmyth has yet to have a frost ... I'll call it the Marshall Line ... :))

Steve
Prior to growing spuds?? How ridiculous!! I plant potatoes in mid February. Marigolds are but a memory of last year's garden.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember a discussion we had here about the benefits of growing marigolds and tilling them in. I' ll have to look into that.
What I'm wondering is how long the benefits of tilling a crop of marigolds under lasts.
Say I grew a crop of marigolds this year where I planned to grow potatoes or tomatoes next year, and tilled the marigolds under, would the benefits last over the winter until that ground got planted again?

There is a source for bulk French marigold seeds, a pound is just over 13 bucks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that the French are supposed to work, Thistle'. Check that Florida link, I believe they recommend Mexican based on their trials.

I can't help believing that the benefit would last over a winter. What you may ~ mostly ~ accomplish is depriving the nematodes of food. They talk about the importance of keeping weeds out of the marigolds because the nematodes will feed on the weeds ...

Alfalfa is mentioned in UCDavis article. There is an annual but I imagine that they are talking about a several year rotation. The alfalfa would have to be plowed before it began growing weeds.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well if nematodes feed on weeds I'm toast.
I can see them out there now having a feeding frenzy, little bibs tied around their necks....
(In my minds eye, pretty sure they're just ice skating right now.)

Latest posts