Wierd Black Stuff In An Heirloom Marion Tomato? PIC

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good day all,

DH is the gardener here. He came in yesterday with his first, freshly picked tomato of the season, a Marion heirloom. Proud as punch!

Promptly going to make a sandwich, poor guy was mighty disappointed to find the situation as shown below. Any advice and/or help appreciated!

6099_marion_tomato.jpg

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe that is called black heart. It is caused by some of the same things that cause blossom end rot... mainly uneven watering, possibly uneven calcium uptake. I get a tomato occasionally that has that. As far as I can remember, like BER, it tends to only affect a few tomatos and usually on a particular plant. Let's see what others think. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is. I sometimes see that in my paste tomatoes, which are also the most susceptible to Blossom End Rot for some reason. I always figured it was a variation of BER and always split my paste tomatoes open to see if it is in there. Some years, either BER or this affects practiallcy all my paste tomatoes, even if very few of the others are affected. I just cut it out and use the tomatoes for sauce.

I'll also watch to see what others say.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bid said:
I believe that is called black heart. It is caused by some of the same things that cause blossom end rot... mainly uneven watering, possibly uneven calcium uptake. I get a tomato occasionally that has that. As far as I can remember, like BER, it tends to only affect a few tomatos and usually on a particular plant. Let's see what others think. :)
I have to agree.... the same thing happens in similar plants that are also going through BER for me as well. Water evenly, and add some crushed eggs shell to the dirty around the plant's root system. I already have to do that with my plants. :/