Wife Broke Her Ankle

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well all I can tell you is about my experience, in 1994 I slipped on an icy step, went down on my ankle hard and it snapped. They operated on a Thursday night, home on Saturday, I ended up with two plates, A couple of longer screws on one side, 5 shorter ones on the other side, no cast. Not allowed to walk on it for 6 weeks. I didn't have crutches, I opted for a wheelchair.

What I did do was, feet flat on the floor, no pressure on the feet, I rolled back and forth bending my legs backwards and forwards exercising my calf muscles, every chance I got. I do admit the pain was quite bad as I didn't use many of the painkillers prescribed, it was a year before could honestly say I was pain free. But when I went for my 6 week checkup I walked in, bit of a limp but not using a cane. Today this ankle hasn't given me any problems at all, still have both plates and all the screws, I wish my other ankle was as strong as this one. Other than I bang it on something I do say ouch, or to be perfectly honest the air is blue for a couple of seconds.

Annette

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was so fortunate to be told I had a football player injury my acl went in pieces only
I was 49 when it happened dr.'s played around saying I needed my entire knee rebuilt
young orthopedic come in orders new mri say's acl shreds not total knee.. he tells me I am athlete showing dogs
51 weekends a year so decides to use my own hamstring he can remove the instability maybe not the pain other ortho
left it so long arthritis in deep it is stable but had to retire then and there

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@valley ranch , No problem. I will try to keep you posted on my progress. See the bottom screw on the plate??? That was removed because it was unscrewing...They don't want to remove any more...If I keep having this pain I will make them take the 2 inside ones out or I have another doctor that will do it. They are all titanium. I can go through the detector when flying and won't set the machines off.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
upload_2017-5-12_23-0-53.jpeg
I believe the tib fib have movement~slight but necessary.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the injury; I know it will be a trying time, especially with children in the home. My wife broke her lower leg badly two years ago, falling down stairs while carrying a heavy box. She hobbled to the couch, waited two hours for me to get home from work, then said - with a smile & a straight face - "honey, I think I hurt my leg". Then she wiggled it!:ep:thIt still makes me cringe thinking about it. Her pain threshold is unbelievably high (probably how she put up with me for all these years).

She was confined to a recliner & wheel chair for two weeks waiting for surgery, then another month that after before she graduated to a walker (with plates & pins in both bones). Our two grown daughters each took a week off to help out, and I took vacation & FMLA for the remainder. The church directed me to one of the local fraternal orders (I think it was Elks) that loaned out equipment for those with disabilities, so I was able to check out a wheel chair (and later a walker) through them. Son & I built a ramp to the front door for easier access, covered with non-slip outdoor carpet. We liked the ramp so much (especially when it snows) that we kept it.

Don't know how limited your wife's mobility will be, Sprig. The biggest challenge may be to her spirit, especially if she is accustomed to being active. Everyone is different in terms of what they will need emotionally... sometimes, with the best of intentions, we can be too helpful. It sounds like your wife is very competitive, the most painful thing for her may be having to rely on others to do things she would normally do herself. Injuries can be a challenging time, but the silver lining is that they can also deepen your relationship. Best wishes to you both.

The wiggling of the leg is kind of hilarious :) otherwise it sounds like she had a lot of good help.

She must be in great physical condition to be in the roller derby. I am, not so much. I broke my elbow and ankle June 20 2016, not one year yet. We were doing the final touches in our gardens for the county garden tour. I was stepping over the hitch cringe just thinking about it caught my foot on an old grapevine. When I started falling over it I sat on my leg on the hitch then hit the ground on the other side and broke my elbow in 2 places. My foot was off the leg and sitting next to it under my skin.

View attachment 19758
With a metal plate and 8 screws added, 4 days later, I was on the lawn tractor showing off my gardens as people walked around to see them. I made them let me out of the hospital the morning after the surgery. I was in great pain but I wouldn't let anyone know that..How after 11 months I am still in great pain by the end of the day....The doctor said it would be there for 2 years after the break. It's been a hard journey but I will do this...

Now I am not in the shape that your wife is probably and everyone is different. I would say my pain is probably because I sat on my leg and foot on the hitch and separated the 2 bones in my lower leg. The doc said I really did some damage there. The pain I have now is in the inside knuckle where there are 2 screws...All the tendons and thingies in there were schredded and are still healing...

Sending your wife, good healing wishes....Hope things go well...

Wow! Cringe inducing indeed. Thanks for the photo!!!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hope she has a quick recovery. 15 years later, 4 surgeries and much pain mine was never the same. It sounds like she is determined to do well and that makes a difference.

Thanks. Yeah, she's a tough one.

the hours, days following the insult, the injury continues to develop~the damage continues.

Swelling results in hydraulic damage, that's why she, your wife is I'm sure using Ice packs~In a few days that will change, whether of not the attending medical help is given by mechanically minded persons will determine the outcome and future of this ankle.

The very best to you and your wife~the very best!

Richard

Thanks. Yeah, I thought it was weird that they wouldn't do surgery that first day but when the explanation of swollen tissue, tendons & muscle being harder to really work with was given it made total sense.

Latest posts