Wild Blackberries

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Hay Silkie!

At least they aren't Poison Oak, and you can make pies from them...ohhhhhhhhhh or ice cream...or jelly. Poison Oak grows in the ravine north of my garden to a few feet from my garden. So far only one time have I had to get a small glass with a couple ounces of bleach to nip one in the bud.
Marshall sounds like you need a couple of goats they willl take care of the poison oak/ivy and if you drink their milk you will become immune to poison oak...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a plan, but I was thinking Chickens first.

I have a method with poison oak. In winter time sometimes I lightly touch a poison oak twig with the back of my hand. Most of its oils are down in winter. this way i get just a microdose of poison oak and usually not even an itch. when spring comes and i'm hiking, if i accidentally touch some i rarely get poison oak anymore.

Ya have to be careful doing this! sometimes instead of innoculating, the reverse can happen, and ya get even more sensitive.

Poison Oak is one of the main vegetation forms around here in this mixed forest. In order that can be changed at anyplace; Fir, Deciduous Oaks, Pine (Jack, Bull, Sugar), Madrone, Manzanita, Poison Oak, Evergreen Oaks (I think some of these may be older than bristlecones. An old branch dies to the root while a new one grows. The old branches have 600 close rings. Some individual plants looks like they've been doing this since before the Ice Age.)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm lucky there. Both my sister and I were born with an immunity to poison ivy and poison oak, which is odd since our mother coudn't even get downwind of where they were mowing it without breaking out.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Poison Oak outbreak is actually an immune system response. What "seems" like immunity to poison oak is actually "not immune". Backwards isn't it? But you and your sister are lucky for sure. I have heard it is more common among native americans to get less response to poison oak. Don't know if it's true though. Penn State has good info about it, medically.

Latest posts