Wild Edible Weeds ... ???

vja4Him

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I need help identifying these plants I found in my back yard! I'm hoping that some of them are edible. This first one, I think is Stinging Nettle. I'm looking forward to cooking up Stinging Nettle ...

DSCF1230.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good pics. Looks like nettle to me too. I've only had the dried herb in tea.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like stinging nettle. It would be good to have Hattie weigh in on this one. Seems I remember that she has nettle in her garden.

I have eaten and really enjoyed nettle :p. I haven't enjoyed the blisters it caused after I rolled over on it while lying in a lovely mountain meadow :rolleyes:.

It doesn't hold much appeal to me as a tea - the nettle tisane tastes like the water from cooked greens. ;) Now why do you suppose it would make me think of that?

Here is a good place to start when you have a question about a wild plant - USDA plant database. Then, go down near the bottom of that webpage and click on "CalPhotos."

Steve

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Looks like stinging nettle. It would be good to have Hattie weigh in on this one. Seems I remember that she has nettle in her garden.

I have eaten and really enjoyed nettle :p. I haven't enjoyed the blisters it caused after I rolled over on it while lying in a lovely mountain meadow :rolleyes:.

It doesn't hold much appeal to me as a tea - the nettle tisane tastes like the water from cooked greens. ;) Now why do you suppose it would make me think of that?

Here is a good place to start when you have a question about a wild plant - USDA plant database. Then, go down near the bottom of that webpage and click on "CalPhotos."

Steve
Thanks for that link, could be a useful site for me in identifying the plants around me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had it mixed in with a few other things as a nutritional supplement for pregnancy. It's very high in iron. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't forget lambs quarter. It's a reliable and tasty green. They come up wild in disturbed ground in every state. Some people even plant them in the garden on purpose.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is interesting I wasn't aware that nettles were edible (live and learn)! So far all of my experiance with nettles whether it is hunting, fishing, or hiking has been negative for me.
P.S how do you itch your throat when you eat them? LOL

Latest posts